Monday, August 24, 2015

the things I will miss


This was last year's August nature table, but it looks pretty much exactly the same right now and every time I sit down on the couch and look at it I think, should I just go ahead and switch it to fall? I mean, it's coming so soon.  But I don't, because the truth is, I'm just not ready yet

I'm a lover of all things fall, but I'm not ready for summer to be over, not quite yet. To be honest with you, I'm having a love/hate relationship with the calendar at the moment.  A week from tomorrow is September 1st.  A week from tomorrow the boys head back to school.  I'm not ready for that.  And yet, I will be thankful when the month flips to September because it will mean I made it into a new month with this pregnancy.  My goal is still October, as far fetched as that feels some days, but I'm not in any hurry for October to actually get here.

We planted a raised bed garden this year (we had hoped to plant at least two, but only one got done) and in it are tomatoes, green peppers, eggplant, and green beans.  The plants are actually doing quite well and giving off lots of produce, which is pretty amazing considering I'm not the world's best water-er.  I have nursed my hanging baskets back to life more times than I can count this summer, only to let them shrivel in the sun once more.  One of these days I will get a green thumb....one of these days.  So the fact that this little garden has kept chugging on, even though some of the plants themselves are looking a bit rough, has made me pretty happy.


This little tomato and green pepper were our very first harvest. I also bought a basil plant this year that is sitting in my kitchen window and I begged Collin for the rights to this first tomato - caprese salad has been my snack of choice this summer - he let me have it, though I was afraid for a minute I was going to have to fight him for it.  The tomatoes are rolling in now, a whole window sill full at the moment, so we no longer have to battle for tomato rights. 

We've also been gifted cucumbers by the refrigerator full, which is fine because everyone in this house also loves cucumbers (well, everyone but Nolan, who hands his off every night. Me no like these, he says.)

The simplicity of summer dinners is something I will miss dearly when fall makes her arrival.  It's been weeks since I've done a full grocery shopping run. With all the fresh produce we can usually whip something together pretty quickly....and it tastes so good.


The other thing I am really going to miss as the weather turns chillier is my clothes line.  After months (years!) of envying my neighbors clothes line we finally got our own and oh my gosh, you guys, I think it was the highlight of my summer!  I still can  not help but steal a glance if I walk past a window and know there are clothes hanging out there.  And Collin is just as smitten as I am.  It's made my laundry life immeasurably easier and I have loved stepping outside for just a few minutes during the day to feel the heat of the sun.  One of the real downfalls of working from home is that I am terrible at getting outside on a daily basis.


I still plan on using this well into the fall, if possible, but with the change of seasons I know my clothes line days will be numbered.

I know so many of us love fall, but what will you miss most of all with the passing of summer?




1 comment:

Gail Harper said...

Every so often you throw something out here and I think - there's Kate, my sister from another mister! Oh, the times we are so much alike! I'm thinking of fresh tomatoes and killing the hanging plants, as well as the first year of hanging laundry outside! It smells wonderful! Thanks for the smile! Fingers crossed for October!