Thursday, August 13, 2015

10 years


Ten years ago today Collin and I stood before God and in front of our family and friends and committed our lives to each other.

It was easy for me to fall in love with Collin....quickly fall in love with Collin....as most of you know we got engaged just six weeks after we met.  What I loved most about him is that he let me be myself, which at times can be a little loud and obnoxious. But, I also have a very serious and analytical side to me while he is naturally much more laid back then I am; we seem to balance each other out and yet, at the same time, have a tremendous amount fun together. In those early days I really believed finding a partner that you had fun with was the key to a successful relationship.  I still do believe that is important, but ten years has taught me a lot about love and our relationship in particular. 


I know we all say it but truly our wedding day was one of the best days of our lives.  At 25 what we desired most was a huge party.  Not just for the drinking (although there was a lot of that too) but for the celebration.  If I were getting married today I would probably desire a little different ambiance but at that time all we cared about were people having fun.  And I think it is safe to say we had fun.




Maybe a little too much! Ha!

Of course, not everything went perfectly right.  We forgot to cut our cake, we never got around to all the tables like we had hoped, and there are some pictures I wish we would have captured, but overall the day was exactly what I had imagined.



Oh, we were so blissfully unaware at the trials life would throw at us.

These past ten years have been an amazing journey; one in which we have been blessed over and over with children, houses, jobs, new friends, and travel.  Ten years later there is still no one in the world I would rather experience these joys with than Collin.

But life isn't only full of wonderful, beautiful things.  With those things come trials, tragedies, and numerous struggles.  A few weeks ago I spontaneously broke out into tears in the car while listening to a love song; I turned to Collin and blurted out: did you have any idea it was going to be this hard? I'll be honest, I didn't.  On our wedding day I had no idea the things our marriage would be forced to endure. 

Ten years later I realize that while yes, finding someone you can have fun with and enjoy the company of is important, finding someone who you can make it through life's struggles with is even more crucial, because with life, and marriage, comes suffering. I know that our life is bound to throw us more trials, of that I am certain, but I am not worried. Some of the most beautiful lessons have come from our struggles and because of them I have faith that together, no matter what comes our way, we've got this. 


10 years is really just the beginning....

3 comments:

Em said...

So true, hon...10 years really is just the beginning. I don't think any of us anticipated all life was capable of throwing at us in the first 10 years of marriage. (Don't you feel almost comically unprepared and naive looking back now? I know I do!) You chose a great partner to navigate through the trials of life with, hon, and to experience the joy and laughter with as well. Happy 10th Anniversary to you to both! Love you guys!

P.S. Ahhh...what a party your wedding was...SO. MUCH. FUN.!

Amanda said...

Happy Anniversary you two lovebirds! I admire you and Collin as a couple with all you have been through...most wouldn't make it and you two are even closer than before. I love you both to pieces! Here's to many, many more!!!!

Jill said...

Well said!! It is SO true that you need the partner with the right balance of serious and fun to be by your side through the highs and the lows (and the middles too)! You and Collin have that and I'm SO grateful that God led you to each other!

And has it really been 10 years already???? That does not seem possible! :) As Ember said, I too still remember your wedding day as so much fun!! Happy 10th Anniversary and here's to many, many more!