Thursday, January 8, 2015

This week I turned 35 (and we celebrated Three Kings Day)

The only birthday parties I can recall having as a kid were sledding parties.  I'm sure I had others that were centered around staying indoors, but I don't remember them.  I remember getting all bundled up and trudging over to the golf course, as a group, and sledding for hours.  Then we'd come in and warm up with hot cocoa and eat cake.  

Oh my gosh, that feels like AGES ago.  Probably because it was.  It was AGES ago.  Good Lord, I'm now thirty-five. As in 3.5.

"That's really Biiiiig, Mom." One of the boys said on Tuesday.  

At 35 I assumed our family would be set, we'd be done having children, and I'd be managing a credit department.

Hahaha, oh my how life expectations change.

Maybe we are done having kids, but I hope not. And I have no desire, NO DESIRE, what-so-ever to be managing anything except for myself (and the kids and our home and all that jazz.)

On my birthday I took the time to soak in the tub. I thought I'd do a little self reflection; think about where we've been and where we're going. But instead I just sat with a notebook and pen and unloaded all of the lists from my head: calls to make, appointments to make, upcoming birthdays, things to organize, random to-dos. It wasn't very introspective but damn did it feel good to free up some memory space up there.

My birthday is January 6th, which is also Three Kings Day or the Epiphany of the Lord. We've never celebrated Three Kings Day before but I wanted to this year. Besides, it worked out perfect because I had three cupcakes left from the boys' school parties to save for home (Collin and I had leftovers from Keaton's birthday party last weekend, which meant we didn't get a shot at being "the King" but that's okay.)


One of those three left over cupcakes had an almond baked inside, whoever found it was The King. The King got to pick out the family movie and pick dinner for this coming Sunday.


The boys dug into those cupcakes with gusto.  I couldn't remember which one held the almond so it was just as much fun for Collin and I to watch as it was for them to eat.


After each bite there was an inspection....where is that almond?


 And towards the end the cupcakes started to get crumbled...that almond had to be somewhere.


Ta-da!!!!  Nolan was the winner!!  

He picked Thomas' Muddy Matters, his new cho cho movie.  

The big boys lucked out though because Nolan could care less what we eat for dinner as long as it's food, so they got to be in on the decision making after-all.

So, if anyone is in the mood for some Tomato Soup on Sunday, come on over!

And the best birthday/Three Kings Day news of all is that Papa & Busha have offered to take the boys overnight on Friday!  Can I get a Woo Hoo??!!  We'll be busy partying it up this weekend as 35 year olds do: sleeping in and then catching a matinee screening of the newest Hunger Games movie (A MATINEE - OMG, we are old!)

No comments: