Thursday, January 15, 2015

Road Trip!


Let it be known that Collin and I did not, I repeat, DID NOT attend a matinee last weekend.  

No, we partied it up with the cool kids at a 6:45 screening of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1.

What?  Why are you snickering?  Oh, 6:45 isn't with the "cool kids?" Mockingjay Part 1 has been out for how long...?

Yeah, I know.  I know. We are hardly "cool."

The movie has been out for so long now that it has been relocated to one of the tiny, closet-like theaters.  We walked in just minutes before it started and I asked the attendant, "is it full?" I'm pretty sure she was snickering on the inside.

It did end up pretty much filling up, but that's not that hard to do when there are like... 30 seats total in the room.  As the screen went black at the end of the show a guy in the front audibly sighed, "awwww, shit! That's it?" and all 30 of us burst out laughing.  

Have you seen it?  The third Hunger Games?  Ugh.  It was a sobering experience for me.  After the numerous events around the world last week I wasn't sure if I should be happy that we don't live in this world or scared as hell that someday we will. 

But! I loved these books and I am loving each and every movie.  However! Help me out here, was President Coin a women in the book?  I didn't remember the character being a woman, am I just losing it?

Saturday was ours to be had and we weren't quite sure what to do with it but ended up sleeping in and then piling in the car for a little road trip to the country.  

The last time I was in Amish Country with the girls  I had dropped off two sets of sheets to be made into rugs for our laundry room.  Back in November I received the first of TWO letters saying those rugs were done and ready to be picked up.  We all know how bad I am at responding to texts/emails/messages so can you imagine how bad I am at responding to actual letters??!!  Very bad. Very, VERY, Bad.

It's a good hour and a half drive out to Amish Country and not something the boys would probably really enjoy yet because it means so much car time (some day I believe they will love it....someday), so I figured this was my perfect opportunity to take Collin along.  

And OMG, what an opportunity it was.  YOU GUYS!!!  We got to go INSIDE her house!  Holy Crap that was like a dream come true.  It was beautiful. Simple and beautiful. A bucket of eggs at my feet, pies on the table, potatoes cooking over a wood stove, a sad iron waiting by the clothes, and a beautiful china cabinet full of gorgeous dishes that I would bet get used every day.  It was basically my Dream Life.

When we got back to the car I looked at Collin in amazement and said: Those bitches are going to be so jealous!

Hahaha!  I mean that in the most enduring way possible....love you, girls!

We figured we'd head home after picking up the rugs but as we passed the Barry Road sign the truck took a sharp right. I couldn't be in Amish Country and not show Collin around.  So we headed to the bakery and the woodworking shop and the grocery store.  He loved it as much as I do. And he finally got to taste one of those heavenly cinnamon rolls (that picture doesn't do it justice....that is a large to-go container.  Those things are huge. And amazing. So, so amazing.) We hit an antique store on the way home before making it back into town in time for Saturday night mass and then to pick up the kids.

Here are my rugs.  I love them!!  They add just the pop this drab, gray room needed. This makes me want to finally finish the laundry room! 


Photo of my piles of laundry are just an added bonus - you're welcome!

Unrelated to last weekend's trip, tomorrow we're heading out of town as a family for an overnight get-away.  The boys are all very excited and have been drawing pictures and telling their friends all week long.


Can you tell where we are going??



1 comment:

CAS said...

Glad that you and Col had time together!! Sounds like fun times! I find it funny how times change. In my 20's a great weekend was if I had something planned for Friday night, Saturday, Sat. night and even Sunday night.... now, I consider a great weekend when I don't have to go anywhere or just have ONE thing planned. More than that - it is not relaxing!!