Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Back to School


Yesterday marked the First Day of the 2014-2015 school year.


Keaton has been pretty excited about this upcoming year - and especially about his new back pack and lunch box - at Meet the Teacher night last week he had a hard time sitting still through Hutton's open house, so eager to get to his own classroom to check it out. So it was no surprise to me that yesterday morning he lined up as soon as the bell rang and marched right into his room with his classmates, never looking back. 

When he got home last night we asked what his favorite part of the day was and he told us: Everything!! He told us all about the classroom behavior chart and he's excited to move up from green to earn stickers and prizes.


Hutton has been a little more tentative about going back to school and he's the one I've been a little more worried about. Having still struggled a bit with drop offs even at the end of Preschool I wasn't quite sure how he would react on the first day. But like Keaton's transition from Preschool to 4K, there was no need to fret.

As soon as we walked in the door he found a friend from last year and off they went to play with Lego's; I barely had the time to give him a kiss on the cheek and tell him to have a good day! When he climbed in the car at pickup he pulled my ear close and whispered, "Mom? Can I go back tomorrow?" and last night as we laid down to sleep he told me, "The teacher was really nice!"


Nolan produced our only set of tears on the First Day!  Ohh boy, was he mad that he couldn't stay to play with all the toys in Hutt's classroom!  

He was also mad in the morning when I was making the boys' signs and the printer spit something out for everyone but him.  I can understand, kiddo.  You don't want to be left out!  So we made him a sign and he held it proudly. He was also pretty happy when it was time to go pick up his big brothers.

***

In preparation for the First Day we had a little Back to School dinner on Sunday night. Back to School Party according to the boys. It was a little celebration for sure. Papa and Busha came over and we had beer can chicken on the grill, corn on the cob, green beans, watermelon, potatoes and rhubarb crisp for dessert. Keaton picked out most of the food; Hutton didn't care what we ate as long as we ate it at the "fancy table."


The boys each got a couple little surprises.  A new outfit for the two big boys (mostly because I needed more school clothes for Keaton!) and all three got a new folder, sketchpad, and I finally (finally!) finished their colored pencil rolls (which I started back in February!)



They were pretty thrilled. 

Papa and Busha brought along a goodie bag for each of them too. Hutton pulled me close as we were setting the table, pointed at the gift bags they brought and asked, "What are those for?" with a little gleam in his eye. 


Even though I'm not quite sure I'm ready for summer to be over, I guess it's time....Back to School they go!

3 comments:

Jill said...

Such an exciting time!! Love this post and the signs! (Nolan's sign is my favorite because I totally understand how he feels!) Hannah would sympathize with him also! Glad they had a great first day!!

ravitrellis said...

school days are always awesome
really nice post!



Smartkidz is one of the Best Play Schools in Odisha

ravitrellis said...

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all of us you actually realize what you’re talking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also discuss with my site.
Best Kids Schools in Madhapur