"Ooohhh, Hutton told us the news!!!" The smiles were spread wide across their faces and my eyes grew as big as saucers, "oh yeah?" I asked them while giving Hutt the side eye "what news?"
No. We are not expecting. Though I know a lot of you know that we would still like another and based on the amount of weight I've gained this last year (eff you, stress!) I'm sure many of you have wondered, on more than one occasion.
The truth is, there has just been a lot going on around here lately. Life has been....stressful, chaotic, heavy. To bullet point these things out kind of takes away from the significance they have weighed on our hearts but at this point, here it is - Things that have occurred since Easter:
- I contemplated a job change. This was not something that I had really planned, it happened after I received an out-of-the-blue email from my former employer. Having worked there for almost 10 years in my prior life it was a place I could have pretty easily walked back in to and felt right at home. It was a very, very tough decision that involved several sleepless nights, but in the end I decided to remain with my current employer. In the three years since I've been here I've had very little to complain about and I love my team. I really love my team, so I stayed.
- Collin received a promotion at work.
- Collin quit his job. Wait, what? I know. This is so confusing. Here's what it boils down too....our schedules this past nine months have been intense. Very intense. Collin leaves for work in the morning by 6:30, I really need to be leaving at the same time in order to get the boys to his moms and get back home to log on by 7:30. This rarely happens which means I'm hustling them out the door, while running late almost every morning. Our mornings are not peaceful. At all. I get off work at 5:30, drive the 20 minutes to his parents and by the time we get everyone packed up and back home it's always 6:30 going on 7 pm. And a lot of nights Collin is not home yet. The nights are a huge rush of getting dinner, baths, and into bed and they are also not peaceful. At all. The long days been stressful on us, on Collin's mom (who has been watching the boys for 5 years now) and, especially, on the kids. Something had to give. We have no idea if this is long term, but for the summer at least Collin is going to stay home with them, get the kids off of this rigorous schedule and try to bring some peace back into our days. For the past year we've been trying to set up our lives so that I would be the one to eventually stay home with them, so it was kind of a surprise to us that God led us in this direction - for him to be the one home. But for now I do believe this is the way it will work best. In addition to being with the kids, he will also be spending the summer getting our yard in order because....
- We are strongly contemplating putting our house on the market. I hesitate to say we are for sure because there are moments that I find myself still struggling with this decision. But we've been talking about it for awhile and we think this is our plan. The problem is there is still a lot of work to be done around here - mostly in the yard but organizing inside too - and there has been no time for us to actually work on it with this schedule. So, the kids needing a break plus the yard needing to get done combined is what led to this ultimate decision for Collin to quit.
- I have taken on two new projects outside of work. This is pretty vague and obviously nowhere near as heavy as the last two decisions, but still exciting. More details to come on these...soon'ish :)
- Collin had to have emergency dental work and is scheduled for oral surgery. Ugh. This one was no fun. This all happened right at the same time as he was making his major job decision - the (One Inch!!) spurs on a random wisdom tooth that is above his molar wrapped themselves around a nerve and became infected. It was so infected and swollen that they couldn't remove the teeth right then, but put him on heavy pain meds and an antibiotic to take the swelling down. He was laid up in bed for a day and couldn't open his mouth at all for several days. He was scheduled for oral surgery the week after Memorial Day but had to cancel for a family funeral.
- Collin's uncle passed away unexpectedly over Memorial Day weekend. Tom was a good man and will be sorely missed by so many.
I think that about covers the heavy. Of course life has also been filled with the good and light too, I'll post about those next...
I've missed being here and hope this new life of ours will allow me some time to be back more often.