Monday, December 2, 2013

saying goodbye to fall

October Nature Table
We seem to be in that somewhat awkward, transitional phase where the Christmas decorations are coming out (the tree is up, the mantle has been started, and the evergreen branches and sled are in the front entryway) but the fall decorations haven't been entirely packed away (the November nature table hasn't been dismantled, there is a turkey hand print card in the kitchen window and a random, almost-forgotten, pumpkin on the coffee bar). 

November Nature Table
The weather was nice yesterday, not sunny but 40+ degrees and pleasant, especially with a winter hat or scarf, so while Nolan napped the rest of us headed out to play and work - disposing of the last of the pumpkins and gourds, wrestling with some tree branches and wire, putting up lights (for the first time ever, we have outside Christmas lights!!).  And of course, there was snow ball throwing and snow shoveling (for fun) and I think at one point I remember yelling, No!  Don't pick up the dog poop with that!  But it was already done, and done, Mom.

Thanksgiving Table
It was a nice (long!) weekend celebrating with family - Thanksgiving on Thursday, Great Grandma Lu's birthday on Friday - that was a nice mix of fall and winter - Christmas tree hunting on Saturday and decorating on Sunday. And with the beginning of Advent yesterday, a new church year, it kind of feels like a fresh start; something I've been in need of lately.  I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend and a nice start to the Christmas season.

(Any and all attempts at a family picture this Thanksgiving were totally fruitless.  These three are trouble, trouble! I tell you.)


(But totally worth it.)

2 comments:

CAS said...

I love your nature table and I think the last picture is PERFECT!!! It is very telling of where they are in life and I love at that they are even in the same frame ( which is so hard to do at that age!) Glad you had a nice weekend and were able to enjoy outside yesterday! I missed being with you a TON!!!! Counting down the days!

Em said...

When I looked at the last picture of the boys, I was somehow transported 10, 15, 20 years in the future, and I see 3 completely different but handsome and upstanding young men. Such a clear vision! Love those boys!