Friday, October 4, 2013

15 minutes of quiet








I am not a morning person.  I wish I were; but if I'm being truthful, I am not.  However, I have discovered that getting up in the morning before the kids wake up and having 15 minutes to myself makes a huge difference in how our day unfolds.

On Wednesday I stumbled out of bed and headed into the pantry to make myself a cup of coffee.  My devotional and Kindle were in my hand and I had plans to snuggle in on the couch, drink in hand, and do a little reading before it was time to start waking children.  

The machine hadn't even stopped sputtering yet when I heard a call from the back of the house: Mooooom!

I closed my eyes and let out a defeated breath and then I headed back to get him.

I got Keaton settled into the couch and put the tv on - I needed those 15 minutes - but before I had sat down myself Hutton came squinty-eyed down the hall.

I pulled out more blankets and got Hutton arranged as well and then  I finally sat down, in the corner, next to Hutt (he likes me close to him in the morning) but before I had a chance to open that book he was already scrambling onto my lap.

It's okay, I told myself.  I can still read with him here.  But then my arm was in his way and taking a sip of my coffee was nearly impossible.  Collin came out and I told him I was feeling anxious - it's just, I need those 15 minutes. He left for work and the boys started fighting and before I knew it I had yelled at them and there were tears. The tears led to protests of school and me fighting them to get in the car. 

***

This morning my alarm went off early, I showered and came out to the pantry to make myself a cup of coffee. I snuggled in on the couch and did a little reading.  I closed my eyes and tried to meditate for four or five minutes (meditating is a work in progress for me) and then my alarm sounded - time to start waking the boys. 

It was a bit earlier than normal and they were groggy,  but I was patient and when Hutton started crying because he discovered it was a school day we were able to diffuse it quickly.  The morning, though tightly scheduled, went infinitely better than two mornings ago.

What a difference 15 minutes of quiet can make.


Lest you think Wednesday's painting with nature involved no mischief, let me show you what happened when I went real quick to check on Nolan. 

Happy Weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

Tracy Over said...

Looks like he had fun painting. I am glad you got a groove going with the mornings :)