Friday, June 14, 2013

let them get dirty

As of tomorrow we have two weeks.  Two weeks until Hutton's 3rd birthday party.  Of course, what I really mean is, two weeks to make it through the mile-long to-do list.  

Last Saturday is was rainy and we thought maybe it'd be a good time to start cleaning the garage (where we plan on hosting the party.)  There is a lot of work to do out there and with every mess Collin and I touched the boys were making two more behind us.  

The task of cleaning is always overwhelming for me and I have a tendency to waste a lot of energy fretting over how it is going to get done rather than just digging in and doing it (that would be Collin.) Looking around at the mess my heart started racing and I could feel the walls closing in around me.

"It stopped raining."  I told Collin, "I'm opening the garage door." I needed some air; the boys needed some room to run (that was not under our feet.)

The door wasn't even all the way up before they started sprinting out.  Collin and I looked at each other, ahhh, a little peace and quiet.  But within seconds we were already asking "Where is Nolan?"



"He's all yours, Mama!"  
Collin kind of chuckled as I walked around the car to behold the sight.


There was no use trying to end it; they were already soaking wet and filthy.

"Well, I might as well go get my camera."


When you're pregnant, especially with your first, people like to give you all sorts of advice. 


Sleep when the baby sleeps.


Cherish every moment.


Take time for yourself.  


But I think the best parenting advice I ever got was this: let them get dirty.


I could see this as several more loads of laundry, shoes that won't dry for days, and mud in my bathtub.


Or I could see it as clothes that can be cleaned, shoes that will eventually dry, and mud that washes down the drain.


(Pro tip: Showers are preferable to baths in these cases.)


Oh, and maybe most importantly, I can see it as three happy (and filthy) little boys who just had the time of their life.




Wishing you all a happy weekend.

4 comments:

Em said...

Oh my goodness, they look happier than pigs in sh--...uh...mud! I will have to let the girls do this some day--as much as the thought makes me cringe--because these pics and the looks on their faces are absolutely priceless! I'm sure they DID have the time of their lives. :)

Jill said...

Just precious! So glad you were able to look at from a different mindset! :)

Gail Harper said...

LOL! We (Jacob and I) laughed through this whole post at these adorable little "dirties"! I love, love the one of Nolan and his muddy face!

I'm proud of you momma! It looks like they had so much fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Love it Kate! Just love it!!!

~Tanya