Thursday, June 27, 2013

In the Kitchen (& at the Farmers Market!): Buttery Shrimp and Radish Pasta




The boys and I made out first trip to the farmers market last week, despite the rain, everyone had a good time.  We piled back in the car, soggy but happy, with arms full of veggies, flowers, two french pastries (for the boys), and a caramel latte (for mama). 

I didn't make many trips there last summer, at least, not that I can remember.  To be honest with you, maybe I did, everything about last summer is kind of a blur. But this summer I have high hopes of many returns.  This early in the season I knew one of the things I could probably count on being ready would be radishes.  So even before our Saturday morning trip I had planned on making this radish and shrimp pasta for dinner on Sunday evening.

I've posted about this before, but it's worth posting again; especially if you have an early season farmers market trip planned this weekend.  This recipe came from Kim at Lapacek's Orchard. Cut radishes above are courtesy of Hutton, always my chopping buddy.

Buttery Shrimp and Radish Pasta
Ingredients:

Coarse salt and ground pepper
3/4 pound linguine or other long pasta
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 large bunch radishes, thinly sliced, greens rinsed well and roughly chopped
1 pound frozen large shrimp (peeled and deveined), thawed
Shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired

Directions:
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot. Add 2 tablespoons butter and toss until butter is melted; keep warm.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high. Add garlic and radishes and cook, stirring occasionally, until radishes are crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Add radish greens and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper, then add to pasta and stir to combine. In skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add shrimp, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until opaque throughout, 4 minutes. Add shrimp to pasta and toss, adding enough pasta water to create a light sauce that coats pasta.

We topped with a little shredded Parmesan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are the radish greens like? I haven't tried them, cooked, as they seem prickly when uncooked.

S

Operion M'Sia said...

looks yummy~

Thanks for sharing


Visit Operion for E-commerce and Online Billing System

Gail Harper said...

I don't know why I do this - I see that you post and I get all excited and practically run over to read it and leave. Then a few days later, I come back re-read and then I'm ready to comment. Like I have to let it all sink in.

What a cute little helper you have. I love his little knife - please share details as I'd love to have a helper in the kitchen.

And - that pasta looks like some yummy deliciousness that we may have to try. Thanks for sharing!