Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lily of the Valley


I walked into the kitchen from the back of the house while Collin was unloading the car and instantly the perfumed scent hit my nose.

"What smells like lilacs in here?"

I knew it wasn't from our lilac bush, I've been stalking it for days on end, hoping, hoping, hoping this would be the year it would take off and produce some blooms.  It does have one, but it's not even in good enough shape to cut off and bring inside.

Collin had placed them in the windowsill and my eyes instantly saw them.  Not lilacs, but Lily of the Valley, picked by my boys from Busha's house.


I don't know if she knows this but Lily of the Valley always remind me of my friend, Jill.  I'm not sure if it is because it blooms in May, her birthday month, or if it is because as kids we used to pick the blossoms on the side of her mom's house.  Probably both.

This bunch has made its home on our kitchen island and every time I walk past I take a deep breath.  It will likely only be a few more days that they are looking and smelling pretty and I want to make sure I take every chance I can to soak up their beauty.

Thank you all for the comments, texts, emails, and calls following last weeks post.  I was woefully unprepared for my phone/computer to blow up so instantly.  It reminded me, once again, that even during the dark times I have the most wonderful set of friends and family, always willing to lend an ear or an arm.  Truly, I can not thank you enough.  

Also wanted to let you know that Collin's Dad was released from the hospital on Friday afternoon and he is doing well.  Thank you for your prayers.

Wishing you all a most wonderful weekend.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Oh, I'm so jealous!! I tried to grow some lilies this year and they never came up! They do smell wonderful! Glad the boys enjoyed picking them like we did as kids! And So glad Collins dad is doing better! I'll keep him in my prayers! Happy Friday!