Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Praying for Boston; Praying for Peace

It's been quiet around here lately, things have been.....kind of rough. Emotionally, I've been on a downward cycle - they seem to come and go, these ups and downs. Anxiety, depression, stress, they can be a difficult combination.  I had planned on popping in yesterday to finally write some things down, to purge it out of my head, but as I was taking a break to pump around 2 pm I scrolled through Twitter and saw the news.  I spent the remainder of the afternoon between my computer, trying to get things done, and the tv, watching the footage.

It's so hard to make any kind of sense out of things like this.  Like Sandy Hook, the bombings in Boston shook me to the core.  My heart aches for all those (and their family and friends) who were injured and lost their lives; and for those whose lives are forever changed after witnessing such a horrific event.  And my heart swells for all those that rushed in to help, to save, who put their lives in danger to serve others.

The local news was on when Collin brought the boys home last night and before I could change it they showed the explosions again while Keaton was watching.

"Mom, we saw this at Busha's.  Something bad happened. They used a phone, pushed a button and something went BOOM! and then another one went BOOM!"

(He doesn't know anything beyond this, we've been careful not to show him any additional coverage although he saw that "the bang was on the newspaper today." But I've been reminded once again how intuitive small children really are.)

As I was rocking Nolan to bed last night, trying to process all of what had transpired yesterday I realized Keaton summed it up pretty well: Something bad happened.

Shortly after getting Nolan down I snuggled in bed with Keaton - I was scrolling through my phone one last time when he said, "Mom, can we say our prayers?  I'm going to fall asleep."

I put the phone down and turned to him, "Yes, Baby, what do you want to pray for tonight?"

Without skipping a beat he told me: "Peace."

Praying for Boston.  Praying for Peace.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh. Keaton is so sweet.

Blurry is the best way to describe this. All3 older kids kinda know what happened... I hate that! Why do our babies need to know this stuff; I hate to know what the next 80 yrs will bring. It's sad!

Em said...

Out of the mouths of babes...thank you, dear Keaton. Such a smart, sweet boy.

Gail Harper said...

My heart goes out to you and little Keats. It's hard enough to come to terms with this stuff (if we ever do) let alone attempt to explain it to our sweet, innocent little kids. Sending bunches of love to you! <3

CAS said...

Awww- love his soft heart! Hang in their girl! Praying for you!

Amanda said...

Hugs to you! Keaton summed it up truly...something bad happened and we surely need peace.