Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter 2013

Breakfast with the Easter Bunny


We had just sat down to eat, the boys' pancakes were cut and Nolan was taking in spoonfuls of applesauce, "Mom, I think that bunny dressed up." Keaton said.

I kind of look at Collin, oh great, here we go....

"Why, Honey?"

"Well, did you see his feet?  He had shoes under his paws!"

Collin, always the quick thinker, told him it was cold out.  And snowy.  And sometimes Bunnies need shoes too.

"Yeah, you're right" Keaton said.  And we were spared this year.

(P.S.  I'm SO happy with this picture!  I really didn't except it to be good at all.  Nolan is obviously distressed, but overall, okay in my book!)


Coloring Eggs


I've always wanted to try dying eggs with natural dyes.  Ideally, I'd like to make my own.  Realistically, I just don't have the time or energy for that right now, so when I found a natural dye kit, I snatched it up.  We had planned on coloring a dozen eggs but there was a little mishap in the transfer from the stock pot to the ice water bowl (I won't name names (collin) :)) and so we were left with only seven.

Seven was perfect though.  The natural dyes took longer to color, having to sit in the color for several minutes at a time (10, 15, up to 20).  Each of the big boys got to pick three eggs to color and Collin did one for Nolan.

While I was nearby for the egg dying, Collin did the majority of the work.  It was Saturday, the day before our Easter celebration with Papa & Busha and Auntie Bea and I was busy cooking.  Wild Rice Casserole, 7-layer salad, and this....my very first Lemon Meringue Pie.  Actually, my very first ANY pie.


It tasted good, but the filling did not set up all the way.  As soon as we cut into it on Sunday afternoon it started running.  I'm thinking I need more cornstarch, but would love your suggestions, if you have them!


Easter Baskets


Hutton woke up first on Easter morning and like pretty much every holiday in the past, we had to remind him what day it was.  Keaton wasn't up yet but the two youngest were rolling and so we woke Keaton as well.  The big boys ran out to the living room and found their baskets under the Easter tree we had decorated the day before.  

Keaton was in a bit of shock when he saw his basket, "I didn't know he DID that!?"

But they quickly started digging in and I'd say their new Brewers shirts were probably the biggest hit.  The biggest hit with me, though, was seeing them immediately put their new ornaments on the tree.


The Egg Hunt


I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed when I realized there was just no way we'd be able to have our egg hunt outside this year (too much snow!) But it didn't matter in the least to the boys.  They had So Much Fun hunting for their eggs and a few other small goodies left by the Easter Bunny and his helper (Busha).  They weren't even done finding all the eggs when Keaton excitedly told us, "I can't wait to do this AGAIN!"

I can't wait to do this again, either.  While Christmas has historically been my favorite holiday, Easter is giving it a serious run for its money these days.  I love all of this, the egg coloring, the hunt, the Easter tree, but mostly, I love the church services.  They have uplifted my heart and I truly feel renewed this week.  I hope you do too.  Happy Easter!

2 comments:

Tracy Over said...

Adorable pics!

I think we have the same Easter baskets :)

Looks like the natural dyes were a lot harder to use with little ones. Hopefully you can find some that are better for next year!

CAS said...

Oh I just love seeing all of the facial expressions on the pictures. You capture the moment so well! Glad your having a good week! Easter has always been my favorite holiday. Right now.. I have to say Christmas just for the sole fact that this is when I get to see the boys. But I love the time of year of Easter and what it means, resurection! I have so many great memories of Easter! You are making great memories for the boys.