Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Dear Nolan: 11 Months


Dear Nolan,

At the beginning of April you turned 11 months old.  I can’t get over how fast this year has gone.  I sat down to look through all of the professional pictures we had taken of you this year and seeing you as a teeny tiny newborn flooded me with emotions and memories.  I remember holding you back then, so little in my arms, and wondering what you would look like as you got older, at that time I just couldn’t imagine you as a toddler.  And I wondered about your personality; would you be quiet and shy, letting your brothers talk for you or would you be loud and boisterous, a third child who steals the show?  While we still don’t know all of these things definitively, I feel like we have a pretty good idea now.


In the looks department you continue to be a mix between your brothers, having your own unique look.  Like both of your older brothers, at 11 months you are still pretty much bald, with just a light covering of blonde hair that has started to curl in the back.  Color-wise it seems to be closer to Hutton’s, although I’d say with a slightly more reddish tint, but it is straight, like Keaton’s. Your eyes are still blue but there is a spot in your right eye that I’m watching; I’m not entirely convinced that they will stay blue. Your face seems to change on a daily basis, sometimes it seems slim and other days it’s big and round.  Your cheeks are simply munchable and, just like your brothers, you have a cute little button nose.  I’m interested to see what your 1-year stats are in just a couple weeks; my guess is that you are on the short side as you are still wearing a lot of 9-month pants.  I did (finally!) officially move you into 12-month clothes right before you turned 11 months old.


Personality wise… well… let’s just say you have A LOT of personality. I remember telling you around the time you turned 5-months or so that you were no wall flower, that you could command a room.  That has not changed.  You are vocal. Oh so vocal.  You express your pleasures by clapping and giggling and lots of ahh, ahh, ahhs!  And your displeasures?  Well, they are expressed by screams, the throwing of your head, and tears.  You cry anytime someone tells you “no” regardless of whether it is spoken or signed to you. And you are so, so active.  You get right in there, a force to be reckoned with between your brothers. In fact just tonight your brothers were standing at the window, looking into the yard and you walked over, threw your hips a bit and squeezed yourself right in between them.  Your Dad has made the prediction that there will be no 2 on 1 when it comes to you guys, no, it will be 1 on 1 on 1 and I have no doubt you will be able to hold your own.


Hahahah…speaking of holding your own, oh, do I have a story to share with you.  Nolan Hank, at 11-months it seems you have been in your first bar fight.  It was about 3 am on a Saturday night, things got a little rowdy and out of hand and before we knew it, someone (something?) upset you and you were throwing punches….or, head butts, as the case may be.  The recipient of your fury?  Your father.  Your poor father who is one tooth less these days.  Oh yes, that’s right – in the middle of the night a couple of Saturday’s ago you got upset, threw your head back to express your distress and you KNOCKED YOUR DAD’S TOOTH OUT! I cannot make this stuff up, Little One. You?  You are a bruiser.


On a happy note, your biggest news at 11-months is that you have taken your first few steps.  It started with one or two, then three, four, sometimes up to six before you plop on your butt.  We made the prediction that you’d be full out walking by your first birthday and I’d say you will definitely be very close.  You’ve started pulling the stiff leg on me when I try to set you down these days, refusing to be set on the ground in the sitting position and wanting instead to be standing straight up.  Walking is one of your Dad’s and my favorite milestone so we are particularly happy about this!


At 11-months you still have just six teeth (four on top, two on bottom), but that doesn’t stop you from eating all the food.  Everyone comments on how much you can eat.  You love playing with blocks and taking baths, trying to throw your leg over the edge of the tub on your own nowadays, and you have a sweet tooth.  Last weekend we attended a baptism and I shared my cake with you three boys, you sat at my side smacking your lips until every last bit of that cake was gone.  You continue to be a thumb sucker and when you are tired you put one hand in your mouth and one hand in our mouth.  You still hate your car seat, having things taken away from you, and, as I mentioned before, being told No.  We are just a couple of short weeks away from your first birthday and while it makes me sad to think your first year is about to come to a close, I am so excited to spend a day celebrating you.





I love you with all my heart,
Mama

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that he is almost 1 already. Times sure flies. I have to say the story about N knocking Collin's tooth out cracked me up. I'm sure it wasn't very funny at the time, but now, come on, that's funny! Poor Collin! I can't wait to see him bust loose on his very own cake at his party. It's going to be a great time.
Lots of Love to those little stinkers!

~Tanya

CAS said...

What a cutie pie. Looking forward to celebrating his Birthday and giving him lots of big hugs!

Amanda said...

Bar fight at 11 months...oh Nolan you take the cake!!! (PS-I hope there are pictures!) We cannot wait to celebrate your first birthday with you :) Love ya!