Monday, March 4, 2013

First Painting









Late last week I told the boys that our weekend was open and asked what they wanted to do.  Snowshoeing, skiing, and painting were the top three items listed.  Santa brought them an easel for Christmas and while they’ve used the chalk board and the dry erase board, we had yet to break out the paints. 

Collin has been working his butt off trying to get the basement floor in.  We plan to have Nolan’s first birthday party down there, so we feel the clock ticking.  Our art room is the furthest most room in the basement, I thought it would be a few weeks yet before we were able to set it up so I was surprised when I got home from running errands Saturday afternoon and he told me it was ready.  We didn’t waste any time, I got a rag and a bucket of water and while I was washing the floor down Collin was clearing the furniture pieces that were to be moved in there (they had become collect-alls in the basement foyer.) And the boys?  They had dreams of painting.

We didn’t get out to go snowshoeing or skiing this weekend, but the paints, those came out. The boys….my boys, my boys that usually can’t be within feet of each other without fighting, sat at that easel and painted together for as long as they could.  I finally had to pull them away because the paper was getting so saturated I was afraid it was going to rip.

The painting is still on the easel, we’re giving it another day to dry and then it’ll be the first piece of art hung on those walls.  I hope it stays there a long, long time.

***

We moved back home over four months ago now and I know I have yet to show you pictures.  While we are so happy to be home, so, so happy, it’s also been difficult. We’ve all struggled with very raw emotions; we still struggle daily.  And as far as the house itself, I’ve been very reserved in showing it to people.  I’m not exactly sure why, Collin and his dad have worked so hard on this place and we feel so lucky just to have a place to call home.

Shortly after my birthday, back when I was feeling pretty blue (or gray) I had a massage and as I laid on that table I said, okay, God, it’s just you and me, I’m listening.  And almost clear as a bell He told me: you need to let go of the guilt from people helping you after the fire.  Honestly, I didn’t even realize how much the guilt was consuming me until that afternoon.

All of this is to say, I think I’m ready.  I’m ready to show you around our house.  I took pictures a couple of weeks ago and my plan is to get that post up this week. Thanks for being patient with me.

1 comment:

CAS said...

Love the Painting!!!!! Love the pic of the painted hands :)