Wednesday, February 27, 2013

there's winter-ing left to do

I was walking through the aisles at Target last week, the home good aisles, which I don't always go through I usually head straight for the cleaning supplies/personal care/baby section, but on this day I turned right instead of left and found myself face to face with all of their new pillows and plates and picture frames.  My heart instantly started beating faster, coral! teal! yellow!  Oh, I wanted one of everything.  I rounded the corner and everything was green.  Light green plants to decorate with, candles, welcome mats.  Spring!  Oh Spring, I'm so ready for you!  

And then I found myself shaking my head. No.  No, there is still winter-ing left to do.
















Mimi and Papa Grizz came to visit this weekend and winter-ing is what we did.  We never had a chance to snowshoe last year, there was just never enough snow or enough time or enough snow when there was enough time.  This year we've had a real winter, a good 14-16 inches still out there.  And while my heart wants to leap ahead to spring, I know there is still so much to do this winter.  Snowshoeing is one of my very favorite outdoor activities and we've chosen it over cross-country skiing these past few winters simply because it is something the kids can do too.  So when they were begging to get on their snowshoes all weekend, it made Mama just a tad bit happy.

Keaton is a pro; this child was made to snowshoe, it just comes so easily to him.  This was Hutton's first time, the last time we went he was being pulled in a sled. Hutt had a little more trouble; he took several spills but the thing about Hutt is that he just gets up and goes again.  "Mommy, I need help" he'd say with a hand up in the air, and as soon as he was back on his feet he was off again.

The snow was perfect packing but we didn't have a chance to make a snowman.  I guess that's okay though, because there's a lot of snow out there, I don't think it is going anywhere any too soon, and while I still find myself looking forward to spring, that just gives us time to do a little more winter-ing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love these pictures. Keaton is so grown up and Hutt, I especially love the picture of him with the strap in his mouth. What a ham! You take such amazing pictures of the kids. Can I hire you to take pictures of my boys? :)

~Tanya