Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Winter in Wisconsin

The snow was coming down hard as I pulled into the parking lot.  I jumped out, quickly herded him back to his seat and then cleaned the wipers before getting back in to go.

"Why did you do that, Mom?  To the wipers?"

"They were covered in ice, hon.  It's nasty out here, isn't it?"

I had tried to run my errands before picking him up, but it just didn't work out.

"Stomp your feet really hard," I told him before we went into the clothing store.  He obliged and as we walked in a thick white circle of powder clearly defined where his boot had been.

He practiced his monster face in the mirror while I tried on outfit after outfit.  I was in search of work clothes, as I have to be in the office the next two days.  Periodically he'd look up and say - that's pretty!  Oh, Mom, that one's GREEN!  You could wear it on St. Patrick's Day!

It took a good 35 minutes but we finally exited.  Pulling our coats down over our hands we ran back to the car; a layer of white covered us as we climbed back in.

+++

It was quiet as I pulled off the highway and with no cars around I glanced over my shoulder.  His head lay softly on his shoulders, hands still tucked in his jacket his eyes were closed and he breathed easily.  It was just me and the road.

With the exception of the two gray lines heading north, likely from the previous car to have passed through here, everywhere I looked it was white. Even the houses were hid by the snow that was falling.  I gripped the steering wheel and drove a lot slower than normal, making sure not to slide into the ditch.  I felt like I should be frightened, normally, I would have been frightened.  But instead I was just swept away by the beauty of it all.

Winter in Wisconsin.

+++

Thank you all for your emails, texts, comments and messages yesterday. As I told a friend tonight, sometimes when you are in the dark of it all you forget there will be sun again. You (I) also forget that you're not alone.  You guys reminded me of that. I thank you all for your friendship. xoxo


No comments: