Tuesday, December 25, 2012

'Twas the Night Before Christmas,

when all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse,




As we stood in the back yard and watched the flames move from the dining room to engulfing the remainder of the house in literally seconds, there was only a couple of things I found myself thinking about.  

Our stockings were one of those things.

Two years ago my mom made us stockings.  The boys' were the only ones that got done in time for Christmas but mine and Collin's had been tucked away shortly after.  Sadly, they never, ever made their way to the mantle.  We had just started pulling out our Christmas decorations the night of the fire.  In fact, Collin had just put the tree up that day.  I remember standing out there thinking about those stockings that were sitting right on top of one of those totes.  The lace detail was my Great Grandma's.  The buttons were my mom's she had collected over the years.  The material was old clothes.  There was no way to reproduce those exact stockings. 

My mom brought some more wool skirts up this past fall and when I sat down to look at them nothing felt quite right.  Also, there was no one material that would make enough to do (at least) five stockings.  I was packing it all back up, saying I "needed to think about it" when a thought crossed my mind.  What if we do them all different?  Everyone with a different plaid?  Then if we do have more kids it won't be a problem, we won't need to match anything, we'll just find something special at that time.  And just like that the idea was born.  

For the past year Keaton has been telling me that "Mimi needs to make us new stockings" and two weeks ago she brought them up.  The boys were so excited. 

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there

Merry Christmas Eve, everyone!

4 comments:

Tami said...

My great-grandmother knitted me and my sisters stockings. I still have mine. I made our boys Easter stockings with material that I had left over from an Easter project. I love the stockings you have. The buttons making an initial is a fabulous idea.
Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Ohh I love your new stockings! They look great, I couldn't tell the difference... I like that each has a unique look! CAS

Em said...

Oh! I love these new stockings. The different plaids is such a neat idea. Great job, Mimi! They look so great hanging from your beautiful fireplace mantle. :)

Jill said...

The new stockings look perfect! I know how excited you were about the other ones, so I think it's awesome that your mom has been able to recreate something very similar, but yet unique! I too, love the idea of the different plaids!