Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Deck the halls with boughs of holly (and something for you!)


Fa la la la la, la la la la. 








Our decorations are up.  The Christmas shopping is done. All we have left is wrapping and peppermint bark making.

Tis the season to be jolly, right?

Oh man, you guys.  I've been off the internet for several days now because I don't even know what to come on here and say.  I read through my Twitter stream or Facebook feed and I can't even form words because talking about trivial things right now just feels....wrong.  I know we need to move on and all of that but following the events of last Friday I'm having a hard time feeling jolly.  What I am feeling is depressed. Horrified. Disgusted. Scared.  And sad.  So horribly sad for all the families affected by the shooting in CT.

Before all of this happened I had purchased a little Christmas gift to give away on here.  It's a Pipka Santa ornament.  He's sitting right up there on the right hand side in the last picture, the Night Journey Santa 

Photo from www.pipkas-shop.com
You may recall, a few years ago I wrote a post about our Christmas decorations (wow, it's a little hard for me to look at those pictures...) and I mentioned my love for my Pipka Santas. I'm going to tear up before I am able to finish typing this....after the fire last year my friend, Jill, and my friend and SIL, Kira, surprised me with new Pipka's to replace the ones I had lost.  In one case I even got a note from Pipka herself and when I saw that this year while I was pulling these out of the Christmas tote, I cried.  When I say that we will never, ever, forget the generosity that people showed us after the fire I mean it, and I'm reminded of it every time I pull out something that was given to us, dress the kids in clothes that were donated, or put on the single pair of running shoes that I have.

When I was thinking about what decoration I wanted to give to one of you, a Pipka Santa just felt right.  I searched and searched and decided upon the Night Journey Santa mostly because of his story.  From the Pipka website:

A journey through the night can be arduous, especially when gusting winds whip winter snows into a blinding frenzy as they howl through the trees, obscuring roads and paths. Why is it that every Christmas, Santa travels through the night to deliver gifts to little children all over the world? Perhaps it is to signify that gifts are something precious and require effort, thoughtfulness, and tenacity to deliver. The Night Journey Santa knows this, and he can venture forth through the night with his lantern, symbolizing the Light of Christ, to guide him through any storm, assuring him a safe, successful journey.

Following the events of last Friday I think this, in particular, is fitting: "symbolizing the Light of Christ, to guide him through any storm..."

So here's the deal, we usually do a Holiday guessing game around here, but this time we're going to do something a little different.  In order to get entered to receive the Night Journey Santa I'm going to ask you to go donate to one of the several funds set up for the Sandy Hook victims (Here's a list, but I'm not positive if this is a complete list.)  Or, participate in the #20Acts #26Acts of kindness that has flooded the Internet.  

You don't need to tell me details; I don't need to know how much you donated, who you donated to, or what act you did, just do it and then come comment here.  And for every comment left here I will donate an extra $3 to the fund(s) (maxed at $100, because OMG, I could get myself in trouble with that).

I'll be putting the Santa in the mail on Friday, so commenting and getting yourself entered to win will end at 8 pm on Thursday, December 19th.  The winner will be chosen by the very formal pull-a-name-out-of-the-hat fashion. 

Let us never forget those who lost their lives on Friday.  Let us always be guided by the Light of Christ.

Don we now our gay apparel, 
Fa la la, la la la, la la la. 
Troll the ancient Yule tide carol, 
Fa la la la la, la la la la. 

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Perfectly written. May God be with all those families enduring so much grief & pain. Bless our children and keep them safe. Amen

Mama B said...

This Pipka couldn't be more appropriate, given the events of this past Friday. Can't wait to see you all tomorrow and give my nephews a big hug.

CAS said...

I love your decorations!! Such a great idea the 7 up container with bulbs! I love your giving idea too. The Acts of Kindness is a great idea, especially in light of everything, but also because people get so stressed around the holdidays and forget the true meaning of it and that we are SUPOSE to be JOYFUL! I will come up with some RAOK ( Random Acts of Kindness to spread some JOY around! I just put a sticky note in the woman's bathroom at work that said YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! on it. Hope it made someone smile!

Jill said...

Kate - I'm so glad you wrote this post. I, too, have been consumed by the events of last Friday. Every night after the kids go to bed, I'm glued to CNN to learn more about those precious little children and hope that they've started to make some sense out of this tragedy. I just can't imagine what they are all going through. And I think it hits home a lot more because I have a 6-yr old that I send on the bus every day to school. It could've just as easily been our school. The thought chills me.

In light of the events, I do feel the need to do some kind of act. I have already made up my mind to write to my Congressman to express my concerns and urge him to work with his counterparts to take action on mental health and guns. I'm usually not one to be interested in political stuff, but as a concerned parent, I feel I need to put my voice out there. I also LOVE your idea for the acts of kindness and will definitely start spinning that into action - thanks for forwarding!

Your pictures are beautiful of your Christmas decorations! SO glad you're able to enjoy them in your new home! Peace to you all this Christmas season! Love and hugs!

Jill said...

Oh - I also forgot to tell you, that picture over your fire place of the 2 little girls - my Mom has that exact same picture! I've always loved it and it looks great over your fire place!

Kristal said...

Beautiful decorations and beautiful thoughts! Thank you for what you're doing.

Em said...

Wow...beautiful! And I must say...I teared up looking back at your "Show Me Your Christmas" post. :(

Thanks for sharing the link for donations and doing the giveaway to encourage even more giving. What a wonderful idea!

Anne said...

Gorgeous! And so nice to read this today, after my day- and my christmas story that made you cry.

I hope people do random acts of kindness, or donate. Please!