Friday, October 26, 2012

Halloween Preparations (and something for YOU!)


On Wednesday afternoon we dressed the kids up in their Halloween costumes and took them all outside for a little pre-Halloween photo shoot.  All I needed was one picture of all three of them for our annual Halloween card.


After everyone went to bed that night, I joined Collin on the couch with my laptop and camera and transferred all the pictures to see what we got. 

LOL. 

No really.  Laugh. out. loud.  I looked at Collin and said, you have got to see this.  It was hysterical. 

I settled on a picture.  Keaton isn't smiling (although I kind of like it that way), Hutt's smiling but not looking at the camera, and Nolan, poor Nolan, he was sick and not looking his greatest.  But here's the thing, all three boys are in the picture.  That in itself was a feat.


Wednesday afternoon the boys helped me decorate the new grapevine tree Mimi brought for us. 

Our Boo tree is outside the patio door, but still doesn't have lights on it.  I'm hoping that will happen at some point before this weekend's activities.

We also need to carve pumpkins.


All of the stuff that is remaining on our Halloween to-do list makes me thankful that I put up these few decorations at the beginning of the month.  I had thought about waiting until we were "settled" but Ha! that's going to be awhile yet.

In the meantime, our decorations are making me happy.


This is Wanda.  Wanda came from Mimi & Papa Grizz's house.  (Mimi wanted rid of her, I said, She's Perfect!)

Wanda is our Switch Witch.  Wanda used to be surrounded by a nice display of pumpkins and corn stalks, but then Collin removed all of that to set up for concrete and every day since then it has rained.  Sigh.

This is our first year for Wanda and the Switch Witch.  I first read about it online somewhere, but I can't remember where.

On November 1st (because our kids will trick-or-treat on Sunday this year) the boys will leave all of their left-over candy at Wanda's feet and that night she'll put a spell on it and in the morning, poof! the candy will switch into something fun. 

Keaton would like a movie.


I was explaining this to the boys on the way to school on Wednesday and one of the greatest things about having multiple children is watching their reaction to life. 

From the back seat Keaton was enthralled, ooohh, Mom, can you tell the story again???

Hutton, meanwhile, was pissed.  No take Hutton's candy!


One of my favorite decoration ensembles is this witch, crows, and signs that sits on top of the dresser in the living room (an auction find!)  I saw the "A Witch Lives Here with her Little Monsters" sign in early September.  I didn't buy it right away though. But then everyday after that I thought about that sign and so I went back for it.  Along with the Trick-or-Treat sign.

And guess what?  I thought it was high time for a little holiday guessing game around here.  So I bought one for you too! 

I thought I'd write this post before the very last minute, but alas, here we are.

So, here's the deal.  Below you will see a bowl of pumpkins and squash (Correction: original post said gourds) that sits on our dining room table.  The bowl is pretty big, I've given you a few angles to try to see the size. 

The first person to correctly guess the weight of that bowl, with the squash in it, will win the Trick-or-Treat sign.  If no one guesses correctly, I will send the sign to the closest guesser.  Now, we're running out of time, so my plan is to go to the post office tomorrow morning.  So guessing will have to close tonight.


Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go weigh a bowl full of squash.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is 4.5 pounds

~Tanya

CAS said...

You have way more decorations than I have- you go girl. I think it comes with having kids though. The only decorations I have are the ones my mom gave to me when we were over at your house the othe weekend :) I might get a few pumkins this weekend before Oct 31trick or treating. I know that bowl is big so I am going to guess 7.5 pounds. I can't wait to see pics of the little lumber jacks !

Anonymous said...

My guess is 6.5 pounds

Anonymous said...

Ooops clicked the button too fast...this is Pam D. My guess was the 6.5 pounds. Have a great day, Kate!

Anonymous said...

Maybe 2 pounds a quash/gourd-thingy, plus the weight of the bowl, right?? Is the bowl made of wood? Regardless of your answer on the bowl material, my family and I guess 20.5 pounds.
SMX

Amanda Jones said...

I'm too late but I say 10.3 lbs ;)

Em said...

I know I'm too late to guess, but I just have to say...kudos on the Halloween decor...I'm impressed! I'm sure it makes everything feel that much homier right now. :)