Friday, October 12, 2012

From the archives: a day at the orchard (2011)


If you were a fly on our wall you'd hear a lot of "we just need to power through this" around here lately.  Setting up the house, emptying and cleaning the duplex, finishing our inventory, purchasing those last few items, sending out the remaining birth announcements, we just need push through, go a few nights with no sleep and get things done.  But oh, that's so much easier said then done.

Time.  Everything takes so much time.  Collin started assembling our closet but then we took a few days to figure out just where we wanted it and what more pieces we needed.  Looking up final prices, scanning receipts, emailing our adjuster - it takes more than one evening to do it all.  Comparison pricing bookshelves for Nolan's room online, making sure the dimensions will fit the wall, comparing again. Looking for that chair and ottoman we picked out for his room, why isn't it available anymore?  Is it available anywhere? Google search, google search, google search.  Pull out the birth announcements, stuff, lick closed, realize you don't have a current address.  It's all so time consuming. 

I'm trying to look at the bright side, at the things that have been crossed off the list, but man is it overwhelming.  I have a list of blog posts I want to write, "fire" is one of the items on that list.  That's the fire story.  Finishing it, that is.  And when I do (and I will) I'll tell you about how when Collin ran back in the house he stopped in my office on the way out.  It was pitch black and he was on his hands and knees, he couldn't see anything but he reached up scanning my desk with his hand until he found my computer.  We had been using it earlier that evening in the living room so it was unplugged.  He grabbed it and one of our camera bags on his way out the door.   

Just writing this brings tears to my eyes.  It's not about the computer or the camera, those items could have been replaced, it's about the pictures and the letters and documents that were spared.  Those are what make me so happy that he made that stop in my office.

Because I haven't had much time to do housekeeping this year my computer is now brimming with pictures, old pictures that need to be moved off of here and on to an external hard drive (an external hard drive we'll be keeping in a fire and water proof safe from now on) (yes, please make sure your fire proof safes are also WATER proof.) So while I work through clearing some space on my computer I thought I'd post some pictures from the last year that never found their way to the blog.

These were from our trip to Lapacek's Orchard last year and our visit with my college roomie, Karma.  The boys had a ball eating apples, feeding the goats, and eating apples that they already fed the goats (Hutton).  I was newly pregnant and I shared the news with Karma before we had made an official announcement.  I was worried about some things and I shared my concerns with her and her response has been something I've fallen back on many times this past year: Pray about it.  

Those three simple words carried me through my concerns last fall and have continued to carry me through this entire year.

Happy weekend, everyone!  If you have something weighing you down, may I suggest  you pray about it.

P.S. MAN, I need a goat! And chickens.

No comments: