Friday, September 7, 2012

First day of Preschool


Wednesday was Keaton's first day of preschool.

We've been talking with him about school and how he will stay there by himself for a couple of hours a few days a week.  He has been pretty excited about it but when he was acting up over breakfast and refusing to eat we realized he was also a bit nervous.

Let's talk about it again, he said as he sat next to Collin on the couch.  And so they talked again and then he grabbed his backpack and seemed ready to go.


We headed outside to get a couple of obligatory first day of school pictures before he and I loaded into the car.  He smiled nicely for me for a couple of shots and then Hutty decided he needed in on the action and, like all photo shoots around these parts, things started going downhill from there.  Collin and I had to laugh; this is life with these boys.





Collin stayed home with the littles while Keaton and I headed off to school.  He talked all the way there, "It's just you and me in the car!  No Daddy, no Hutton, no Nolan.  Cause we're going to school.  And I will listen to my teacher at school. Hutty's getting big too; he'll go to school next year." And then we got out of the car and he saw some classmates and he started up again, "He's going to school too.  Look it, Mom, he has a backpack...."

When we got into his room he found his hook to hang up his backpack


and after putting his name tag in the bucket and giving me a hug goodbye, he slowly left my side to go play with the toy tools.


I stood on the outskirts of the room for awhile and every so often he'd look up with a bit of panic on his face but once he realized I was still there he went back to playing.  I slowly made my way to the other end of the room to exit and then stood outside the door for a bit.  I was fully expecting to hear crying once he looked up again and realized I had left.


After four or five minutes or so I knew I had to leave.  He was fine.  I was fi....oh, I was kind of a mess.  I got very choked up walking back to the car.  This is the first time we've ever left him with someone other than friends and family.  He's growing up so fast and yeah, I sat in the car for a bit to catch my breath. 

I ran some errands and came home to the little boys so Collin could go to work.  It was very strange in our house without him there.  Hutty missed him immensely. Teaton at?  He asked when I walked in the house.  At school, we told him.  Go check, he said as he opened the garage door to make sure Keaton wasn't out there.  He came back nodding his head, Teaton at school.

When I told Hutt it was time to go pick up Keaton he was so excited, as was I.  We walked in the classroom and his teacher says, Keaton, someone is here for you!  And Hutty walks right up to him, Hutton here!  It might have been the cutest thing ever.

When we got in the car he started jabbering nonstop, telling us about his day, his craft project, playing in the sandbox and meeting new friends. 

He didn't cry.  None of the kids did.  He made new friends. He loved school.  He can't wait to go back. 

This Mama is happy, but also a little tearful; my baby is becoming a Big Boy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what, you'll always feel this way. And with each one of the boys. It's just something about letting your child go. Owen started 2nd grade and I still felt this way. As big as he is now, he's still my baby, and always will be. I especially loved the pictures with Hutton in them. That kid just cracks me up. You are gonna have your hands full with him. Ha!!! :)
~Tanya

Jill said...

Ohhh..I love this post! This is such an emotional time because you want them to go and have fun on their own, but at the same time, you don't want them to not need you there - what an internal struggle! Glad to hear that you all made it through the day and that he had an awesome time!! It is SO hard to believe that he's here already! Love the pics - they're priceless!

CAS said...

Oh how I love to see these pics! Yes they crack me up and made me cry at the same time-- just can't believe he is already in preschool! And I loved it that Hutt missed him... awww! He will do great there!