Sunday, September 30, 2012

294 Days Later...

We're Home!!


This morning I sat at the island in the kitchen drinking my coffee and looking through the Younkers brochure for water glasses.  Nolan was napping and the boys were in their rooms playing when I realized, this moment, right here right now, is perfect.  I look forward to spending many more mornings sitting with my coffee cup at that end spot.

The move this weekend has gone as well as could be expected.  Moving is a lot of work.  Moving with young children is a lot, a LOT of work.  Collin's parents helped us out yesterday watching the boys and washing dishes and putting things away bit by bit.  Our plan of attack with this move has changed almost daily and I think our ability to be flexible (which is really unlike me) has been key.

Although the rental company is coming tomorrow to pick up all of our furniture, no one is moving into the duplex right away, so we are able to move slower than normal.  We've been bringing boxes and totes by the car load and trying to unpack each one before going back for more.  It's working out okay. Although what's left there now I would file under "miscellaneous" which is always the hardest part; the stuff you don't really know what to do with.  The stuff you wouldn't miss if you didn't bring it with, but throwing it away feels so wasteful. 

The house is still a work in progress, there are a few totes I don't really want to tackle and those are sitting in the entry way.  The hallway to the garage is a pile of empty boxes that need to be burned or broken down for recycling.  Nolan's room is kind of a disaster.  The time we get the most done is when he is napping and since he is in there napping, it hasn't been unpacked or set up yet. But it's coming along.  Dishes and pots and pans have been washed and put away.  You're able to at least kind of see the kitchen counter and, the big one, the pantry is set up and cleaned out.  The pantry had become out dump zone over the past few months.  I dreaded setting that up.  But yesterday morning something came over me and the first thing I needed to do was set up the coffee bar.


I'm so glad I did because each time I looked at it throughout the day it made me so happy.  After the kids went to bed last night Collin and I scrubbed the remainder of the room down and unloaded all of our food.  It feels so great when a room is "done".

We hope to steadily make progress over the course of this week and finish up moving and cleaning the duplex next weekend.  The boys are still calling this the "job site" and Collin and I are still calling it "the house" but I know in the days and weeks to come this house will slowly become Home.

5 comments:

Gail Harper said...

I'm so happy you're finally home! I know it doesn't feel like it now but, in time, you'll put your stamp on this place, settle in, get comfortable, etc. It's been a long 294 days, I'm sure but, you've come a long way, and been through one helluva shitstorm. You're still standing all together on the other side. That's something to be proud of!

Sarah said...

I'm so happy you are back home for the entire holiday season! What a blessing! I think you are right, all the stress, work, frustration, and tears this past 294 days have made you such a closer family to whether this storm together. There is no rush to finish unpacking, that will come. The important thing is that you are home.

Kate said...

Thank you, guys. You are so right. What's important is that we are here, together. That's all that really matters!

Tracy Over said...

Very glad you are back home! :) xoxox

Jill said...

SO glad for you guys that you are back home!