Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Here's the problem: I'm not a morning person.

I have grand plans for this site.  I'm going to get up in the morning, before the kids, and I'm going to get myself a cup of coffee and I'm going to sit down and type.  And I'm going to enjoy the heck out of that hour alone, before the sun, before the requests for waffles, and before diapers and sleepers need to be changed. 

That's been my plan... since June.

But I've run into one problem: I'm not a morning person. 

Every night I set my alarm and every morning I cancel that alarm and fall back to sleep.  Usually not waking until 10 minutes or so before one Mr. Hutt pops his head up and says "Uptairs."

And just like that my day has begun.  There's bags to be packed, clothes to be changed, shoes to get on, a car to pack, and vitamins to dole out.  By the time Collin and the boys leave in the morning I have just enough time to take the dog out and get her her food before I need to be logging on to work. 

And evenings aren't much better.  Dinner, baths, playing tractors/a game/art time, brush teeth, read one book, lights off. And once those lights go off and the kids FINALLY fall asleep Collin and I reconvene at the kitchen table, both on our laptops.  I've been trying to more regularly jump on Facebook while I address birth announcements and write thank yous.  He's been busy looking online for some items we still need for the house. Around 10:30 or 11:00 the baby starts to squeak a little from his bassinet and I know it's time to head to bed.  So I set my alarm....

I know we're not alone in this craziness called life.  I just wish I could find a little more time in the day, a little more time to spend here.  Maybe finish the fire story or update my About Page, which not only doesn't include Nolan but says Hutton is SIX MONHTHS OLD, for the LOVE! And so this is my goal as August winds down and we enter a new season in September: try to find a little more balance in each day. I still need to work on fire stuff, that won't be over until December 11th, when we can no longer submit any claims.  And I still need to at least marginally keep the house clean, but amongst the chaos that is our life these days, I also need to find some time for things I enjoy, like reading and blogging, because when life is a disproportionate amount of work versus play it wears me down, stresses me out, makes the chaos seem even more chaotic. 

So here's to finding balance.  Here's to tackling the to-do list while also enjoying the for-fun list.  Here's to learning how to get out of bed when that alarm sounds.

3 comments:

fritzfacts said...

I am with you! I am not a morning person, and by the time night comes around I just want to sit down and relax with the kids.

One day at a time...that's how I look at it.

Ashleigh said...

I'm in the same boat. This week I'm waking up every morning at 6am to wake N. up at 7a.m. to start the transition for school. All I want to do when I hear that alarm is curl into the warm cocoon of my bed and sleep three more hours.

Amanda said...

Amen...another non-morning person here! The grand plans of working out, time to one's self and anything that crosses our mind goes out the window when that alarm goes off and you are T-I-R-E-D!!!

I agree...one day at a time :)