Monday, August 6, 2012

Dear Nolan: 3 Months

Dear Nolan Hank,

Today you turned three months old.  Three. Whole. Months. I can hardly believe it. These past three months have gone by so quickly.  I knew this was going to happen; I did, and yet, how is this happening?  How is time going so quickly? Why, oh why, do you have to get so big so fast?


This third month has been a big month for you.  I looked at you this afternoon and sadly realized gone are the days of your newborn-ness, we are now in full-on baby mode.  Although, that’s not all bad.  In fact, there’s a lot of good that comes with entering this new “baby” stage.  For one, the smiles and coos.  Oh, your smiles and laughs make my heart sing.  There’s a lot of turmoil in our lives right now with the house and insurance stuff, but the second you smile at us it’s like all of that is off our minds and all we care about is talking to you to make you laugh and giggle some more.  You’re Dad is the best at this, when he gets down close to you and says “bababababaaaa” you instantly break out in a full grin, you swing your arms and kick your feet; you are so happy and you make a sound that sounds exactly like you are saying “Hi”.



Happy.  Yes.  You have really become a happy baby this month.  Your second month was kind of rough with the reflux and gas and while you’re still on medicine and you still have your moments, they are becoming less frequent.  Last weekend your Godparents were here and at one point Andy said, you have such an easy baby (you liked it when he held you.) Yesterday I took the three of you boys to a bounce house to celebrate your cousin Aiden’s birthday; you spent half of the time in my arms, chasing your crazy brothers, and half of the time being held by your Uncle Matt and during the whole afternoon you cried exactly once, when you had filled your diaper and wanted changed.  Watching you from across the room I realized, wow, he is an easy baby! Easy or not, I’ll love you just the same, but if you choose to have some more of these easy days, I’m okay with that.


Unfortunately I can’t talk about your third month without mentioning the biggest change that hit us this month, my return to work.  While I think we all needed the routine, it still made me sad that our summer together - you, me, and your big brothers - had come to an end. Thankfully, for the first week and a half I was able to keep you home with me. You were such a good little boy during those days.  You slept most of the morning, woke up to eat and then hung out in your bouncer or on your activity gym while I got stuff done.  I was so happy to have a little time together, just you and me, and it made going back so much easier.  You have now joined Keaton and Hutton at Busha’s and while the three of you keep her busy, I know she loves having you there.


At three months old you like being carried facing out or high above a shoulder.  When you’re tired you liked to be wrapped in a blanket and held close.  You sleep cuddled up with me and you’re a good little sleeper at night, waking only slightly to eat and then dozing right back off.  You would sleep until 9 or 10 in the morning if we didn’t have to wake you to leave.  You don’t particularly like taking your medicine and you get mad when you’re overheated. For naps you sleep best on your tummy and we finally found a nuk that you like most of the time. You like your activity gym and swing and love finding yourself in the mirrors. You're still in 0-3 months clothes and the consensus remains that you look just like Daddy. Your brothers still adore you and put up with their (rough) hugs and kisses pretty well.  They have started using your middle name, calling you Nolan Hank, this month.  You have really been the bright spot in this entire year and for that I will be forever grateful.


I love you so much,
Mama

2 comments:

CAS said...

He IS a bright spot in this year for sure!! Wow he is growing so much! And yes the pic witht he crab on it looks just like Col! OMG! Glad he is feeling better these days. Loved chatting last night and speaking to Keaton was the highlight of my weekend!

Jill said...

I love your "month" posts and hearing all of the highlights...you forget all of these little things so fast! Can't believe this little guy is already 3 months old! I loved getting to know him more! Can't wait to see what next month brings!