Friday, July 20, 2012

WeDay: A revival (with cookies)

On Monday my summer home with the boys came to an end.  It was July 16th.  10 weeks since Nolan arrived. Time for me to go back to work.  While I'm sad that our time together is over, I think it will be good for us all to get into a routine.  I need it and the boys need it.  They were thrilled to get back to Busha's this week and willingly jumped in the car Monday morning. And I realized I wasn't dreading my return as I had in the past.  I think this is because I like my job, I love working from home, and we still have our Wednesdays. I reminded myself of this over and over while on maternity leave, we still have our Wednesdays. 

Last week I told Collin that I have a new rule for WeDay.  A new rule for me that is.  And it's one simple rule: No phone. 

Oh, I'll have my phone on me, but no piddling around on my phone.  When I step back and look at when we have the most problems around here it's when my focus is off of the kids.  With the baby there are enough times that my focus is off the big boys - feedings, diaper changes, etc. so when I can focus on them, I need to.  I don't know if this is typical or just me, but when I get on my phone and start scrolling though Twitter or Facebook I always think it's going to be for 30 seconds but inevitably 30 seconds turns into 5 minutes.  And 5 minutes turns into pinching and biting and fighting.

I know I probably won't be perfect, there will be times I pick it up, but for the most part, my phone will be put down from now on on Wednesdays.

This past Wednesday I had hoped to go get blueberries with the boys, but after a dual doctor appointment for Nolan (who weighed in at 10 lbs 12 oz) and Hutton (who weighed in at 28 lbs) (Keaton, for fun, weighed in at 33 lbs) it was pouring rain and we promptly canceled our plans.  It was probably a good thing because Hutt fell asleep as soon as he hit his car seat.  So instead we picked up lunch and then snuggled in for Finding Nemo.  Keaton stayed awake through it, but Nolan dozed off about a half hour in.


Once the movie was over and Hutty was up from his nap we decided to make chocolate chip cookies.  It was a rainy, gloomy, dreary day.  Cookies sounded perfect.  The boys love to help me bake and cook.  They get to pour in the ingredients and then stir, stir, stir.


And snitch, snitch, snitch.



After the cookies were baked and cooled there was some dunking,


And devouring.


Our revival of WeDay was a success.  There was minimal fighting by the boys and minimal temper loosing by mama.  It was a good day. And every time I start to get sad about being back at work I just keep reminding myself, we still have our Wednesdays.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

What a great day! That's awesome that you have Wednesday's free.... what a nice way to break-up the week. OH and I can't believe how big your boys are. You would never guess they were early arrivers. My kid's were all around those weights at those ages (well minus Brody who is a beast)and they were all overdue or pretty much "on-time". I guess you just know how to cook them faster than some :D

Em said...

I told myself I was going to get caught up on blogs, but of course, it hasn't happened. But as of last night, I HAVE caught up on yours. :) I enjoyed reading your vacation journaling. Great idea to write those as you're on vacation so that the memories are fresh.

Also hard to believe that Nolan is 2 months and counting. I wasn't sure who he looked like most yet when we met him last month, but in more recent pictures, he reminds me of Keaton quite a bit. :)

I'm glad that your transition back this week is going pretty smoothly and that neither you nor the boys was dreading it! Having your mid-week reprieve (that's not quite the right word) of WeDay, which I almost forgot about, is awesome. I applaud you for trying to keep it phone-free. I have noticed for myself that it makes such a big difference if I stash it out of the way and put my focus on the girls when I'm with them, but I need to do it more often.

BTW, I keep wanting to mention to you to let me know when you'd like a new masthead and what style you'd like to go with (colors, images, etc.) I'm here to design it for you when you're ready! :)

Sarah said...

Love your WeDay post! Makes me think chocolate chip cookies would be perfect to bake now and eat to celebrate Baby Girl's arrival! The boys are going to remember all the WeDays you spent together with so many great memories. You are setting the bar high for the rest of us! :)

CLAREW said...

Sounds like a perfect day! I tried to do no phone while the kids are up. Its amazing how much time it consumes! Enjoy your time with those precious boys!!!!!
PS ~ We would love to see you whenever you come down next :) Andrew would love your boys!

CAS said...

Yeah for WEday! so love the pics! And the NO phone rule- social media is easy to get sucked into. I usually just don't do anything with my phone once I get home unless someone calls.

Jill said...

Great post - it's so much fun to do cookie with the kids! Can't wait to see you all this weekend! Lots of fun planned!! :)