Wednesday, June 20, 2012

House Update - A Walking Tour

I usually take pictures with my phone when I'm out at the house, but last Wednesday I decided to bring the camera out and take some shots of the whole house, as it is right now.  Well, as it was last Wednesday.  While the outside looks the same, things are changing on the inside on a daily basis. 

I thought I'd take you on a little waking tour of the whole house and then try to posts updates weekly.  Or something.  We all know how great I've been at updating this poor blog lately.  But anyway, welcome, welcome, lets take a walk around the house.

Outside: Front (East side)

Walking clockwise to the left, the South side:

South-West Corner:

Back (West side):

North-West Corner:

West side:

Now lets go inside.  Instead of taking you in the front door we're going to go in through the garage, only because then we'll walk through the house from one end to the other, it seems easier this way.

When you walk in the garage door there is a hallway with two doors on each side. 

The first door on the right is the laundry room (there is a door in the laundry room that leads outside so 1) dirty boys can come right in here and strip down before entering the house and 2) we'll be putting a clothes line up right outside this door.)

The first door on the left is the coat room.  Or, coat bedroom, as Keaton calls it.  There will be cubbies in here for everyone to store their stuff as well as a bench built into the wall.

The second door on the right is the half bathroom:

And the second door on the left leads to the basement (we'll come back to the basement):

As you walk down the hall you'll pass the dining room and into the kitchen.  Around the corner is the pantry, which is hard to photograph because it is L shaped:



The living area is all an open concept, so starting in the kitchen:

And panning left to the living room:


And turning a full 360 degrees to the dining room (to the left of the red wall is the hallway we came in at):

Here is a close-up of the tray ceiling Collin designed in the dining room.  Since the living space is all open we wanted to differentiate the dining area with a drop ceiling and Collin added the tray ceiling at the last minute.  I love it.

Oh!  See the fireplace in the background??  Did I tell you how I changed the stone at the last minute?  Like, after our other stone had already been ordered. I went in to look at paint samples next to the stone Collin had picked out and when I got in there I told he salesman, I don't like this.  He was so nice and said he could cancel the order and Collin didn't flip out when I told him I hated the stone, and so just days before it should have been in, I changed the order.  Then I started to freak out because what if we didn't like it?  What if it didn't match the siding?  It would be all on me!! 

Thankfully, I like it.

To the right of the fireplace is a secret little room, a wood room.  One of my biggest complaints about the old house was that the wood for the fireplace had to be drug through the kitchen and living room to get to the fireplace.  It always made a huge mess and I absolutely hated it.  So I am so excited about having a built-in wood room.

I guess I didn't take a picture of the front door, but it you walk in the front door you walk into the living room.  Directly to the left of the front door is my office:


To the right of my office is the hallway leading to the bedrooms.  The door you are looking into is Hutt's room, right before that is another hallway leading to the right.

The first door on the right is the boys bathroom:

I have to show you this because it's another thing I'm so excited about.  We have three rooms in the house (this bathroom, the first half bath, and the coat room) that do not have any windows, and therefore no natural light.  In these three rooms we added sun tubes and during the day it looks like you have a light on.  Nope.  That's the sun.

The first door on the left is Keaton's room:

And at the end is Hutton's room:

The second hallway leads down to our bedroom:

The first door on the left is Nolan's room:


And the door on the right is a linen closet:

At the end of the hall is our bedroom (looking to the left):


And looking to the right:

The door on the right is our closet, it is also hard to photograph but you can see in the second picture there is a built-in wall to separate Collin's from mine.  Not a true his and her, but as close as we could get.


The door on the left is our bathroom:

I can't express how excited I am to soak in this!

Walking in the doorway and looking left is the shower and room with the toilet, or poop closet, as it has been affectionately named.

The tile work in the shower is Collin's design.  I love watching him do projects like this.


Aaaaand, the poop closet.  This is not something I would have thought about, having a toilet in a separate room, but every guy that comes in here loves this idea.

And that's the first floor!

Now, walking down the stairs to the basement we come to a little foyer. 

The door straight ahead is the guest bedroom:

The rest of the foyer:

The door to the right is the work-out room:

And the door straight ahead leads to a hall:

In the hall there is a furnace room to the left:

A guest bathroom straight ahead:

And storage to the right:

Walking through the foyer is the family room:



This door is another storage room that we have plans for, but I'm not sure when we'll actually be able to complete:

Lastly, at the very end of the family room is another room which we plan to use as a craft room:


There is also a door here leading outside.  The thought is that someday we'll put a wood burning stove down here in the family room and this door will be used to access wood.

And that's it!!  I am getting so antsy to get in here.  So, so antsy. 
Hoping to keep the blog updated as things progress.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh, Kate! It's looking awesome and it's huge! Your husband is very talented! Now, since I never knew what your old house looked like... you should do a post on the things you did different when you rebuilt (like rooms added/changed and maybe some finishes that you did different this time). So exciting!!!!

Patten Family said...

Holy Crap.

Looks like I'm coming to visit.

Talk about a dream home! So happy for you. How big is that thing, my goodness it looks HUGE! You guys deserve it though:)

CAS said...

Love it! Love the colors, LOVE the trey ceiling- good taste Kono! I love trey celings! And yes the stone looks great- good switch! and the Bathrooms are beautiful! Love the sun tube and the details Col did! I am excited to see the finished product and my absolute fav pic.... you'll never guess... put the one with Papa holding N! Yep- it gets me every time... tear-love it how my fam loves kids so much and how those boys are the apple of my parents eye! I just told my coworkers how

Sarah said...

Love all the pictures! I can see similar layout/design to the old house but with changes. The kitchen looks like a dream kitchen! And the master shower is beautiful with that tile work! Love the fireplace stone also :) Can't wait to see how it continues to progress...so so exciting for you guys. 2012 will be a good year!

Anonymous said...

Love these pictures, thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see it in person. We have a sun tube in the boys bathroom. I'm sure you've seen it many times. We love it. I never turn a light on during the day in there. It's always so bright.
~Tanya

Kate said...

Thanks everyone!

Kelly, that's a great idea. In the next update post I'll add some info on what we changed. That was one of the upsides to this whole mess, we were able to make some changes to the house, to things that weren't working out so great for us before.

Happy weekend everyone!