Tuesday, May 29, 2012

First week on the Job

Nolan turned 3 weeks old on Saturday, but since we spent his first week in and out of the hospital and my mom was here the second week, this past week has felt like my official "first week on the job." I was a little nervous, but mostly excited for the four of us to get into a routine and find our groove.  There were definitely moments throughout the week that were rough, but for the most part I would call it a success.  While I didn't have the boys outside as much as I'd like (or as much as they are used to with Busha), we did get out and at least to something each day.

Monday we were sort of limited as Nolan was still on his billi light, but we did go out for a walk in the morning.  Keaton and Hutton love to pick up sticks and rocks and, well, just about anything they can find on walks, but I hate them walking around with the sticks.  It's just a matter of time before one of them falls and pokes their eye out.  So I brought a bag with us on Monday and I let them fill it up with "nature."  We came home with sticks, rocks, branches with needles, and pine cones.  My plan is to use their loot during art time one of these days.

Our walks take us through an assisted living center right down the road.  The boys love walking through there because they are currently adding on rooms and so there are lots of machines tooling around.  The Pettibone driver is the best, he waves at the kids each and every time he drives past and they just love it.  We have little "stops" along the way, first the machines, then the rock pile, the stack of bricks, the digger, the big hill, the No Parking sign, the deer, and then we head home.  The only way I can get them to move from one location is to bribe them with the next....alright guys, lets go to the big stack of bricks (where they like to sit for awhile and then jump off them over and over and over, until Mom says, okay, to the digger!)

Monday we headed out to the job site (aka, house) to pick Collin up from work.  My plan was to finish the fire story before updating you with the new house pictures, but who knows when I'll get around to that, so I'm just going to start updating you with house pictures.  These are all from last Monday. 

The kitchen

The living room
 (kitchen is directly to the right, bordered by the patio door)

Moving counter clockwise,
the living room and fireplace

 and the dining room

On Tuesday, the big boys went to Busha's while Nolan and I headed to his doctor's appointment where his billirubin levels finally came back normal and we were officially taken off the light!!!  Happiest day ever!

This little guy was a huge trooper and spent the rest of the day running errands with me where we:

1) Decided we didn't like the stone that had originally been ordered for the house and fireplace and we picked a new stone (I'm now a little nervous about this switch.  If it looks like shit, it's all on me!!!  Ahhh!)
2) Went to the furniture store to compare paint samples with the living and dining room sets.
3) Picked out the fabric for Keaton's curtains.
4) Purchased and drug home two comforter sets for our master bedroom (and decided to keep one!)
5) Finalized paint decisions for the entire first floor.

It was an exhausting day, but I felt like we got so much accomplished and Collin was happy to finally have paint colors picked out so our painter could get to work.

Wednesday the boys and I headed up to Wausau for one of their final gymnastics classes with their cousins.  They have really had fun with these classes; I'm so glad Kira asked us to join them for this session. 

After gymnastics we headed over to the house to pick Collin up again and got to see some of the painting.  The living room is called Mocha Suede.  For those that were in our old house, it's the same color as my old office and our family room in the basement and very close to our old master bedroom color. 

The start of the kitchen cabinets.

Keaton's room.  Color is Sherman Williams, Cardboard

Hutton's room.  Color: SW Latte

Nolan's room.  Color: SW Kaffee (the dark wall) and the other walls are SW Whole Wheat

We went pretty neutral with the color in the boys room, but plan to bring in color through their curtains, bedding, etc.  I'm hoping they'll all pop when we add the accessories.

Thursday night we had Nolan's newborn pictures (I'll show you a sneak peek when they are up on the photographer's website.)

On Thursday we spent the morning at the park going down the slides, swinging, and playing with the wood chips. 


And on Friday we went for another walk (this would be the big hill stop.)

And afterwards had a picnic on the balcony.  

Our first week of summer - maybe not technically summer, but our summer none-the-less.  There was a ton I didn't get to, like thank yous and inventory and sorting through boxes and starting to pack, and I'm hoping I'll be able to slowly start checking those things off the list while still balancing the most important part of these next seven weeks, enjoying my time with the boys.


Gail Harper said...

Sounds like a great first week! Looks like everything is coming back together for all of you! It's so good to see such happy kids!

Mailing out the afghan this week! :)

CAS said...

Aww- this sounds wonderful! Enjoy your boys! Just pick one room for inventory each week and soon it will be done. The house colors are warm and inviting- love them!

Anonymous said...

Walk idea for you: When T was about 3 1/2 going on 4, we bought little kid-sized gripper toys/tools at Target (maybe $2.50 or less, in the toy section) to pick up litter on our walks. We re-use grocery bags. We are cleaning up our neighborhood and he still gets to pick up "stuff," but with a TOOL.

Anonymous said...

And...love the pictures!

Jill said...

What a great week! Glad you're enjoying your time off and with the boys! Nolan looks great!