Thursday, February 9, 2012

22/23 Week Update On All Things Baby

18 weeks
22/23 weeks
Wow, wow, wow, I can't believe I'm about 22/23 weeks along and this is the first Baby update I'm writing.  Life.  It throws you punches.  Sorry Baby Kono III, I promise to take lots of pictures of you when you get here.  Okay, I promise to try. (Aaaaand, the Baby in my belly is shaking his head and thinking, yup, I'm screwed.)

There were a ton of posts I had planned on writing before the fire to give this baby justice, but since we're so far into the pregnancy at this point lets see if we can sum up the first half rather quickly.

  • I guess to start I should tell you, Baby Kono III was a SURPRISE!  While we had planned on having a third, we had decided to put off trying until the first of the year.  I was in the midst of training for another half marathon when I got the positive pregnancy test (in fact, three days before I took the test I ran 10 miles, something I never would have done had I even thought it was possible that I was pregnant.)  BUT, that doesn't mean that when I saw those two pink lines I didn't jump for joy.  I think my text to Ember said something about being "on cloud 9."  I took the test on a Wednesday afternoon, Keaton was napping and Hutton was in the bathroom with me sitting on the floor playing with the other two tests in the box.  I picked him up, swung him around and he giggled, though he had no idea what was going on.  That night I surprised Collin with a Dairy Queen cake that said "#3 - See you June 3rd"  he looked at the cake, looked at me, looked at the cake again and said "Are you pregnant?" We trusted that God knew something we didn't know with the timing and on December 10th we learned what that something was.  I remember standing outside in the bitter cold that night and thanking Him that I was not only pregnant, but already through the first trimester, because there is no way in these months following the fire that we would even be thinking about ttc right now, there is just too much else on our plates.  So we are both overjoyed and so very thankful.
  • My morning sickness started pretty much on queue at 6 weeks.  While I didn't throw up nearly as much as I did with Hutton I generally felt like shit all day everyday.  That first trimester was actually pretty miserable.  I remember more than once saying "this is it, I can't do this again." At the beginning I thought this first trimester was very different from either of the boys, but when I went back to read this recap I wrote during Hutt's pregnancy I realized with the exception of the puking, pregnancy #3 followed pretty closely to pregnancy #2. The biggest difference is that the morning sickness did not stop at 11 weeks!!!  Until the fire, I didn't think it was ever going to stop.  It was really the fire, the distraction, that made me feel human, pregnancy-wise, again. 
Those two bullet points pretty much sum up the first trimester.  Here's how things are going now:

  • The pictures above we're taken at 18 weeks and 22/23 weeks along (I say 22/23 because the doc currently has me at 22 weeks 3 days and I think I was actually 23 weeks yesterday.)  Apparently I don't have a comparison pic for either of these weeks, but here was 20 weeks with Hutton.
  • To date I've gained 13 pounds.  I guess I didn't keep track last time around.  I'm kind of bummed about that because I have no idea if that is similar to last time or not.  Sadly, I'm also at the same weight I was when I gave birth to Keaton.  Age/metabolism, you are such a bitch. 
  • Baby's heart rate yesterday was 147.  He has always been right around this, ranging from 140-150.  This is in line with Hutton; Keaton was always in the 160s.
  • Since week 19 (I believe) I've been on weekly progesterone injections.  This is to hopefully prolong the pregnancy.  Our goal is 35 weeks (Keaton was born at 36; Hutton was born at 34) - we'd really like to avoid the NICU this go around.  The boys come with me into the docs for my weekly shots.  Each week as I lean over the table Keat puts his hands right next to me and says "you getting a shot for your baby, Mom?"
  • We've had two ultrasounds, one at 16 weeks to check my cervix to make sure it wasn't already thinning/opening, and one at 20 weeks for the anatomy.  Both looked good.  I have pictures to show you but I misplaced the disk, so I'll have to look for that. Collin and I both feel like he looks like Hutton, although I know full well that I thought Hutt looked liked Keaton and that was totally inaccurate, so....
  • Oh, did I mention, it's a BOY!!  We didn't have the energy for a surprise this time around.  We're still working on a name.  This process of having to name a baby is hard work.  We had both of the other boys' names picked out long before we were even trying for a family; this is all new to me and if I'm being honest, I don't particularly like it.  I find it stressful. 
  • I keep forgetting that we need to replace everything we had for a baby.  Then it hits me and I start to panic a little.  We are currently 4 months from our due date (officially June 11th) and if I go early we might only be 3, or....oh, don't let me even go there.  Let's just plan a trip to Babies R Us, ASAP, eh?
  • Baby has been really moving a lot the last few days.  I think that is because I foolishly made the comment on Sunday that he doesn't seem as active as his brothers....when will I learn??
I think that's about it.  Now that we're all up to speed I'll try to post some updates a little more regularly.

6 comments:

MrsCow said...

I laughed when you apologized to Kono III about not blogging about him... I made sure not to do too much with Cora, because I knew I wouldn't do so much with any more that we may have.

Naming the baby is tough. We didn't have Cora's name picked out until after we had her. Have you checked out Nameberry?

Em said...

Holy crap, hon, you are just SO CUTE pregnant. Thank you for posting a new belly pic, too. I love seeing them, and like I said, you look wonderful!

As I was reading about how this little one was a surprise, I was again reminded of God's timing and how it is perfect, even if we don't realize it at the time. It still gives me chills!

I hope you're doing okay with your weekly progesterone shots. I know how "unfun" those must be. How sweet Keaton's comment was, though..."shots for the baby." It'll all be worth it in the end.

Continuing to pray for you and baby to remain healthy and for this precious babe to "stay put" as long as possible.

Jill said...

Yeah - great update! Glad the belly is growing well! I agree with Ember...God's timing of this babe was perfect (as usual) - a positive for you to focus on after the fire.

And I've been keeping you and the baby in my prayers, but ugh...I think I mentally blocked that you were having those progesterone shots! (Suppressing bad memories!) :) Well, if it's any consolation, I am a total wuss and I survived them for almost 15 wks I think, so I'm sure you'll do great. (And as you already know...it's SO worth it!) :) I'll say an extra prayer for your "shots" now too...for easy recovery!

Good luck with the names!

Kim's Crafty Apple said...

Congrats to you all! So exciting :) If baby boy surprises you and is really a girl (I know it's not likely) i can definitely help you out. If not, I definitely think you have an excuse to have another baby shower to help you out ;)

Since I never had boys but always had name for boys (and not the girls) I'll give you my suggestions...Cedi would have been Charlie, Capri would have been Oscar, and Persimoni would have been George. I also REALLY like the name Cooper.

Good luck with those shots! Doesn't sound found...

CAS said...

Yeah- Belly shots! Love them! I think Belly shots are beautiful! I can't belive you are already to week 23! Wow- it has gone fast. Praying for #3 to stay put for a long time! Thanks for sharing! I am excited for another Nephew!

Amanda said...

I'm SO excited for baby Kono #3!!! I worked on the look board for your shower this weekend :) I hope you like it :)