Tuesday, September 27, 2011

It's raining, it's pouring.

I started this post yesterday.  Right now, it is not in fact raining.  But I believe we'll be getting more throughout the week.  I was going to title it Rain, Rain, Go Away, but that seems to imply that I haven't enjoyed being hunkered down the last few days, sitting in front of the fire, candles burning - their flames dancing in the darkened rooms - and our Halloween lights emitting a calming orange glow.

This is why I love this time of year.  For us, fall signifies a slow-down.  With so many family and friends living in distant places, summer brings with it lots of travel and time away from home.  And it also brings yard work and gardening and it never fails that we have a hard time balancing it all.  But once fall comes we start staying home more, and while I'm actually dying to get out in the yard and bring in my old, wilted summer flowers and replace them with the mums I bought this weekend, sometimes the weather just forces us to slow down.

We had planned on heading to the cabin this past weekend but at the last minute we changed our minds and will be heading up in a few days instead.  That left us with nothing really on the agenda last weekend, which made for the perfect kind of days.  We started working on the boys Halloween costumes, we got our mums, we spent a lot of time in front of the fire, we watched football, we got the house in order, and we started decorating for Halloween.  I've never decorated like this before, bit by bit, I only have a few things up in the rooms that I've scrubbed down, but it feels good and I'm anxious to haul the rest of the decorations out and get them up. For the outside we have plans for pumpkins and cornstalks, but for right now the weather is telling us to sit down and enjoy these leisurely days.

3 comments:

Jill said...

What a great post and great reminder that we do need to slow down from time to time! You made me not feel guilty about sitting and watching Rapunzel with Emma and holding sleeping Hannah this afternoon instead of doing the dishes or one of the million to-dos. It was leisurely and just lovely! Glad you're enjoying the "slower" days too.

Kate said...

Jill, reading your comment totally reminds me of myself. As soon as the boys are asleep I'm putting them down/sneaking out of the room to get something done. Sometimes we need to just hold them and watch a movie. So glad you did just that!

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.