Thursday, August 4, 2011

WeDay: Blueberry Edition

The note in my Central Wisconsin Farmfresh Atlas says that the blueberry season usually starts in July until mid-August. While some of the produce is late this year due to the chilly spring temps we had, blueberries seem to be right about on track (although when we asked how much longer they'd be open they told us two, maybe three, more weeks - so maybe they too are a little behind.)


We're lucky enough to have a blueberry farm right down the road from us, within walking distance.  From the end of our driveway it is 0.9 miles to be exact - by crossing the road to the first telephone pole I hit my two-mile running route.


There is a big sign in front of the farm that notes the next picking dates.  For the past couple of weeks I've seen the dates come up and down and I knew if Mimi and I wanted to take the boys to pick we better do it soon.  


So yesterday we loaded them into the stroller and wagon and made our way down to the patch.  It was supposed to be cooler, less humid, but standing in an open field under the midday sun it was anything but cool or less humid.


But that didn't stop us from picking and picking and filling our buckets.


Hutton spent the first half of the trip sleeping in the shade...


...while Keaton ran up and down the rows, bucket in hand.


Keaton also did a lot of running through the rows, which resulted in more than one time out.  I guess that's the beauty of still shots, they look so serene and pretty.  The don't capture the Mama's anxiety about the bushes her young one is trampling or the frustration of his lack of listening with his ears. 


Looking at these I just remember how he was giggling as he ran up and down, up and down, and would stop every now and then to put a berry in Mimi's basket.  And I suppose that's all I really want to remember.


Hutton did finally wake up and when he did he went straight to work.


And by work I mean shoveling blueberries in his mouth by the hand full.


He didn't even stop to chew.   I know this because I changed his diaper.


Finally, an hour or so in, we decided to call it quits and head out to lunch.  We hauled our berries in, had them weighed, and put all 13+ pounds in the wagon where Keaton ate them one after another on our walk home.


The rest of the afternoon/evening was spent sorting and cleaning.  Putting some aside for Busha and making blueberry crisp.  The remainder of our blueberries will be made into jam, muffins, pancakes, and a good many will be put in the freezer so we can enjoy our "booburys" all winter long. 

5 comments:

CLAREW said...

You have got to be the most outdoorsy person I know! This sounds so fun. The only thing I ever think to pick is pumpkins!

CaSondra Shim said...

Awww- love the pics and it looks like they had so much fun! Glad you are creating so many great memories and traditions with the boys!

Amanda said...

Looks like the boys had fun and those berries look tasty! Wonderful traditions :) We need to plan our apple picking trip fir September.

Gail said...

Looks like a good time had by all! Though I have to agree with Hutton, for some reason everytime we went berry picking, I suddendly had the urge to take a nap! And now, I'm hungry for some fresh blueberries! :)

Em said...

You guys picked a TON in a short period of time. I'm impressed! :) I've wanted to try blueberry picking with Lucy this summer, because they're her favorite fruit, but it's been so hot, and I just don't know that I could handle all the bending over and chasing after her by myself.