Friday, August 12, 2011

On Hold until September 1st

You may (or may not) have noticed that I never composed a Summer Soul Season list and that my Enjoying Today pictures have been sorely neglected. I had planned on writing a summer list; I thought through the items in my head but I never got them down on paper and I think that is because for the first time in…well..as long as I can remember, I was actually excited about summer. This year I felt myself welcoming the heat, and even the humidity, with open arms. I’m not exactly sure why, I’ve been known to hate on summer, but I think it was because the kids were at the age that we could really enjoy it. Last year I was pregnant for the month of June and Hutton was just an itty bitty baby for the remainder of the season. Though I loved, loved, loved having my maternity leave during the summer, having an infant made it difficult to enjoy all that the season offers. There was the sun and heat to consider during the day and the bugs to consider at night. While we enjoyed ourselves, we spent a lot of time indoors. This year I knew the boys would be begging to get outside. And I knew that would give us the opportunity to live and take part in this season.


We haven’t done everything on our list and in fact we haven’t done the one thing we really, really wanted to do: take the boys camping, but we’ve been enjoying these past couple of months and we have grand plans for the remainder of the season. At the request of Keaton we’ve had a number of meals outside, on the deck, picnic style. We’ve spent time at the beach and caught a baseball game. We’ve made strawberry and blueberry jam, canned pickles, and picked blackberries. We planted a garden and although it hasn’t done anything spectacular we’ve spent evenings out there together as a family weeding (were there some tense moments with children pulling and trampling plants? Yes, of course, but also good memories.) We’ve gone on walks on our running trail and bought food at the farmer’s market.

Though I look forward to fall, because fall is my favorite of the four, I can honestly say I’m not quite ready for summer to be over. I want to soak in a few more rays of sun, I want to put veggies in our freezer for winter, and I want to fire up that grill several more times. So for the next few weeks we’ll be doing just that. But once that calendar reads September 1st my mind will be on autumn, on crisp leaves and pumpkin soup and a trip to the apple orchard. And a turning of the seasons feels like the perfect time to bring back Enjoying Today and to post a new Soul Season list.

Here’s to the last few weeks of summer, may you enjoy all the season has to offer.

2 comments:

kristinsfourkids said...

I love fall. I don't think there's anything I dislike about it at all.

That said, while I'm welcoming the fallish temps at night, I'm relishing going away this weekend knowing it's going to be 80 and my kids can swim in the lake. I'm hoping to get in a few more beach days in the next couple of weeks before the big ones head back to school and the littles to preschool. Fall brings with it order, but craziness as well, and summer's relaxed atmosphere needs to be soaked up.

Em said...

Here's to enjoying these last days of summer! :)