Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The ebb and flow of Motherhood

Oh sweet boy, I love you so but you are my difficult child. I know it is partially due to your age, at 2 ½ you like to push the limits and test the boundaries. I know it also has to do with your personality, you’re Type A, like me, you are particular and you notice when things are out of place or out of routine. I know we just have to trudge on, that we will get through this stage.

Oh sweet boy, I love you so, you are my easy child. I know it is partially due to your age, at 2 ½ you can understand our requests, we can reason with you and you comprehend the consequences. I know it also has to do with your personality, you’re Type A, like me, you’re a rule-follower and like things in order. I love this stage!

Oh sweet boy, I love you so but you are my difficult child. I know it is partially due to your age, at 1 you aren’t able to fully communicate your wishes and desires. I know it also has to do with your personality, you are intent and determined and a little wild. You are no wall-flower, you want to be noticed and heard. I know we just have to trudge on, that we will get through this stage.

Oh sweet boy, I love you so, you are my easy child. I know it is partially due to your age, at 1 you just want someone to play peek-a-boo or patty-cake with. I know it also has to do with your personality, you’re a little crazy, you have fun and smile and laugh and giggle at everyone you see. And you love to cuddle. I love this stage!

**

Difficult, easy.  Easy, difficult.  The ebb and flow of motherhood.  It changes in this house daily.  Nay, hourly.  Sometimes I love these ages and stages so much my heart could just explode.  Sometimes these ages and stages are so difficult my head could explode.  The only thing predictable is that tomorrow will be a new day, new blessings and new challenges.  And we will continue on, learning how to navigate though the tough times, wishing we could hit the pause button during the easy times.

3 comments:

Em said...

"Ain't that the truth!" is the first thing that came to mind when reading this. I'm glad you shared it, because so many of us feel it...constantly. Thank you, hon!

CaSondra Shim said...

You should write a book- your an amazing writer- love this comparison of easy/difficult and yes how things can change from hour to hour- but yet they are blessings. I'm learning now that anything that makes you go to GOD is a BLESSING in disguise! Love you and those boys!

Amanda said...

I agree with CaS 110%...write a book! Your post is so very true :)