Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Dear Hutton: 12 Months

Dear Hutton,


I can hardly believe this buddy, but you are officially one year old. I remember racing to the hospital on that Monday morning and swearing at all the early-morning commuters who were leisurely making their way into work. I remember stepping out of the car when we finally made it into the parking lot, looking down and realizing you had dropped so far that I asked your Daddy if you were still in there. I remember your Daddy whispering to me that “it’s a boy!” and feeling my heart explode. A boy. A son. A brother. It felt so right. I remember this all so vividly that it absolutely blows my mind that it was a whole year ago.


You melded into our family so seamlessly that it felt like you had always been there; an extension of us that we just hadn’t known yet. And I suppose in so many ways that’s exactly what it was. What it is. You were a part of us even before you were born, before you were conceived. God had a plan for our family and you were always in it. Just thinking that makes my heart explode all over again.


The first year of life is so amazing to me. The development and personality explosion that takes place this year will never be replicated. Sure, you’ll continue to growth and change, but nothing like in the last 12 months. Your biggest milestone this month is that you started walking. You had been taking a number of steps last month but two days before your actual birthday, on the afternoon of your birthday party, you officially started walking. You are so thrilled to be independent and if you could I know you’d give your Auntie CaS a big kiss and hug to say Thank you for holding your hands so much that afternoon while you tooled around the yard until you finally just got it and took off.



While you love the freedom that mobility brings, (and I should point out that your Daddy and I love it too, some people dread the walking phase but we look forward to it, prefer it actually) you still love to be cuddled and held; especially when you are tired. When I try to put you down during these times you suspend your legs at waist height and cling to my shoulder. When we finally pick you back up you lay your head down and melt into our shoulders, wrapping your arms around our necks. The response from your holder is always the same; we cradle your head in our hands and whisper awww! because really, it is about the sweetest thing ever.


For as much of a sweetheart as you are, you are equal parts stinker. You like to throw and bang things, just to hear how much racket you can make. You’re a daredevil, climbing on everything to see how high you can get. And when you’re not getting your way you scream. This loud, ear-piercing scream that is so annoying. I’m sorry buddy, but it is. And it’s also embarrassing when we are in public. While there are many things that will make me sad when you stop doing them, I actually look forward to the day that this little development ends.


At 12-months you still have six teeth (four on top, two on bottom) and we’re just waiting for the day that some more break through. Your first word was ball, which is not surprising as you have always loved them. You love climbing up on Daddy's tractor and you still hate sitting still to read books or get your diaper changed. While the bathtub is filling you swing your little leg up onto the side in attempt to get in by yourself and you form a perfect circle with your mouth and make this adorable little ooooh sound when you are excited. You’re still nursing and I’m so proud of us for making it all the way to one year, a goal that I wasn’t positive we’d be able to achieve, but at dinner time you are a big boy, using your own plate and silverware. You still shove most of the food in with your hand but you love hanging onto spoon like you mean business.


A year ago we didn’t know if you were a girl or a boy. We didn’t know what life as a family of four would bring. Today I can’t imagine it any other way. You have brought us so much joy, little boy. I love you with all my heart and I look forward to what the next year will bring.



Eskimo kisses,
Mama

*Pictures in this post were taken by CaSondra Shim Photography.*

4 comments:

Amanda said...

You sure know how to make a girl cry...simply beautiful. These letters are going to mean SO much to the boys as they get older. You have a gift of writing, never stop.

Mama B said...

I love the pictures Cas took, they turned out great!

CaSondra Shim said...

Oh how this little one has grown so quickly! Yes- I agree with Amanda- hard not to cry- these letters are so precious!

Em said...

It's still hard for me to believe Hutt is already one year old! :( I just love that he started walking the afternoon of his party...so neat. Great pics by CaS, too! Another beautifully written letter, my dear. :)