Thursday, July 14, 2011

WeDay: The Good and The Bad

Every day has its moments. Good moments and bad moments.  Moments that are almost instantly forgotten, moments that will fade with time, moments that leave a permanent mark in our minds.  In so many ways yesterday was just an ordinary day; an ordinary day full of a lot of little moments.  Let's start  with the bad, shall we...

Bad
  • Had to wake up to my alarm at 5:30 am.  One of my WeDay rules is no alarms, but I had work that I didn't finished the night before that needed to be sent by 8 am.  So up and out of bed I got.
  • A biting incident. Papa has been giving Keaton a new truck to take home every night.  They are special trucks and ones The Baby probably shouldn't be playing with.  Hutton had the coca-cola truck, there was some yells of No Baby! No Baby!  I heard a squabble, I ran in the room just in time to see Keaton holding the truck and Hutton holding Keaton's arms and sinking his teeth right into his forearm.  Yes.  Hutton bit Keaton.  Keaton cried, it was actually a pretty good bite.  But honestly, it might have also been a pretty good lesson.
  • A cry of Oh No!  Just as we were getting ready to leave.  One look gave me my answer, a potty accident, on the stairs.
  • Target.  Keaton likes to walk and because Hutt is in the cart it's easier for me if he walks.  But yesterday he took off, peeked around the jewelry aisle, smiled, and then went the other way.  I waited for a bit and then went to look for him, which is not easy when trying to maneuver a cart.  He was gone.  I looked back and forth, around this way and that.  No sight of him.  Finally I heard someone call for down the main aisle to the sales clerk that this little boy was lost.  I went out there but he was running back to the bird seed aisle (where we had just been).  I couldn't get to him quick enough and down another aisle he went.  Finally.  Finally I got him to stop.  I picked him up and his lip was quivering, tears about to stream down this face.  It was scary.  For both of us.
  • Got the kids to library hour (early!) and played with all the toys until story time started.  Hutton was not pleased about having to leave the toy area and let out not one, but TWO blood curdling screams as I carried him to story time.  Embarrassing about sums it up.
  • Kids fell asleep on the way home.  I didn't even attempt a car seat to crib transfer and decided to let Hutt nap in his seat.  Said nap lasted about 15 minutes then he woke up and refused to go back to sleep unless he was being held. For the next 2 hours.
  • Trying to make dinner with Hutt in his highchair who was ticked to be stuck up there.  There was alot of crying/whining/screaming.
  • Keaton pouring out my reserved cooking liquid that I needed for the pasta.  Me yelling at Keaton.  The look on his face when I realized how ridiculous I was being and bent down to give him a hug and apologize.  Him talking to himself 5 minutes later reenacting the scene.  Under his breath: Mama says NOOOOOOO! (That was actually kinda funny too, but also sad, because this kid, he internalizes everything.)
  • Getting bit while nursing.  A bite that drew blood.  Lots.  I sat there for 15 minutes afterwards with throbbing pain trying not to cry. All while the baby slept.  He didn't even realize he did it.  And he was not happy when I refused the boob in the middle of the night, but I'll tell you what kid, I'm a little scared of you and your teeth.
But, like most days, the Good outweighed the Bad:
  • Going to Story Hour for the first time!  Playing with all the toys: the tunnel,the legos, the train set, the house, the trucks.  The boys were in heaven there, they would have stayed all day if I had let them.
     
  • Hutton waking up from his nap and me having to hold him meant I got to sit down with a book for 2 hours.
  • When Keaton woke up from his nap he joined us on the couch and we snuggled and read another dozen books until Hutt finally woke up.  It was so sweet and while we were laying there I couldn't help but think, this?  This is perfect.
  • Keaton dancing in the car to Katy Perry.
  • Starbucks.
  • Buttery Shrimp & Radish Pasta (Try it!!  So good.)
  • Jam is restocked.

2 comments:

Em said...

Sounds very familiar...every day around here is a mixed bag of bad moments and good. And you're right, thankfully, the good (even if there are sometimes fewer of them) outweigh the bad. But man, that doesn't always make those bad moments easier to take! ;) I'm sure that moment at the store was sooo scary. I was tearing up just thinking about it. Also, good job on making it to story time at the library! :)

CLAREW said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with those days. I hate when I finally do lose it :( Aaron has been saying for a while that it's those good moments that make it all worth it! I don't know why turning 2 got such a bad wrap when 3 is SO much worse! As fun as they are, when they're bad, they are B-A-D! Have fun!