Friday, July 8, 2011

Vacation Journaling: 4th of July weekend at the Cabin

Saturday, July 2nd

Our trip was postponed until this morning even though we were packed and actually on the road last night.  We hadn't made it into town yet when I realized we'd forgotten the pack-n-play, we turned around and Collin ran in the house to grab it and when he opened the hatch to put it in the car Maia jumped out and refused to get back in.  It was so hot and humid and the air in our car is not working - I think she made the right call. 

When we finally arrived this afternoon it was just in time for naps, which was perfect because Mimi & Pa Grizz had to go to Three Lakes to see some family and when they got back the boys were up and ready to hit the beach.  We walked over to Lake Mildred, which was packed with people and dogs and boats, and for the first time in years I got in the water and swam with the boys.  I'm not much of a water person, it's usually too cold for my liking, but getting in and splashing around with them was so much fun.

On our walk back Mom and Collin were up ahead pushing the stroller and carrying a wet Keaton.  I lagged behind carrying a beach towel wrapped Hutton who was wiped and had his head on my shoulder. As Dad caught up to us he started making bird calls - I remember him doing this to Justin and I when we were young and us imitating any call he made.  Hutt sprung up to see where the sound was coming from and Keaton yelled from up ahead "More Pa Drr! More!"  It was the favorite part of my day.

Sunday, July 3rd

Race day.  Today Collin and I ran our first 5K together, the St. Germain Freedom 5K.  It's my first race back after having Hutton and like any race in the past it fueled my desire to keep running, get stronger, improve my time.  Before I started training my goal time was 30 minutes.  After running my first 3 mile route I knew there was no way I'd hit that.  So I readjusted.  35 minutes.  I finished in 34 50 something, just under my goal time.  I'm happy.  And I'm even happier that I crossed #23 off of my Life List.

We had planned on staying in town for the 4th of July parade but I forgot to pack hats and sunscreen for the boys and they were pooped after being forced awake at 6:30 this morning, so instead we headed home with a stop at Hoggie Doggies for lunch and ice cream.

During naps I sat on the dock and soaked in some rays.  When the boys woke up we headed back to the beach.  I could get used to this life.

Monday, July 4th

There is nothing relaxing about leaving day.  It's like the anti-vacation.  Although we weren't on any sort of time schedule, we slept in and took naps and generally enjoyed the day, all of that was overshadowed by the hassle of tearing off the bed linens, collecting all the dirty clothes, packing everything back up in the car while also watching two active little boys and trying to re-sweep and do dishes and clean counters.  I hate leaving day.  For so many reasons.

**
We are heading back to the cabin for our (whole) family vacation in 7 days.  We're all so excited.

1 comment:

Em said...

I hope that you'll journal some more from your vacation with the whole fam. I like reading them! Congrats again on the 5k and crossing that off your life list! One of these days, we ARE going to do one together! :)