Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Wet

Today is Summer Solstice.  The official start to summer.  The longest day of sunlight.
 

Although I haven't finished up all of my spring posts yet I thought it would be a perfect day to post my Summer Soul Season list.  Have you been working on your list?  I'll admit mine is solely in my head at this point; I have not written anything down on paper. 


I got up this morning and started working at 4:30 am because I had a 10 am deadline to meet (I mostly met it and will have another deadline next week that I'm already starting to fret over/dread.)  About 4:45 am the storms started rolling in.


Big boomers of thunder and lighting strikes that were so large and so bright I could clearly see the neighbors house way across the road.  Collin got up to check the weather channel to make sure we shouldn't be in the basement.


The rain and storms continued off and on all throughout the day.  Everything is wet. Usually anything under the covered part of our deck is protected, but not today.  The table, the chair cushions, even the rugs that were freshly washed and hanging to dry.  Wet.


It reminded me of these pictures I took of Keaton a few weeks ago.


I'm pretty sure he was explicitly told not to go by the sprinklers, lest he get wet.


Obviously I'm still new at this parenting gig.  I'm still learning that if you don't want a toddler to do something the last thing you should do is tell them not to do it.


He didn't realize I was watching him this whole time.  He thought he was being sneaky, getting away with a little mischievousness.


He has a lot to learn at his young age.  Most importantly, Mommy sees everything.


But I didn't have the heart to stop him.  Do you see that smile?  


We don't see that much out of our very serious, hard-working, always has a task to complete, little boy.


So even though he was getting wet, I let him play.  And when he came up to us smiling, laughing, sopping wet, I smiled too.

5 comments:

Em said...

Aw...I LOVE this! The look of pure joy on his face is absolutely priceless. So glad you captured the moment. And it's a good lesson for all of us to loosen up a bit sometimes and just enjoy (even if there'll be a lot of clean-up afterwards!). Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

I agree- LOVE his in the moment smile and you can almost here his laughter all the way over here! LOVE it! Next time- maybe you should join in- it might be good for the soul- we can learn alot from kids hearts- they are precious! Thanks for sharing Kate- made my morning to see these pics! CAS

Aubrey said...

Don't you wish you could just let go of everything and run through the sprinklers again? But for us it's our hair, the rash we'd get from chalking our skins/ wet clothes, wet shoes, etc. But kids don't care. It's fun instant gratification! Glad he got to enjoy his "freedom"

Amanda said...

A precious memory!!! Good job capturing it mama :)

Jill said...

So sweet! I love how little things bring so much joy to them! And I agree, even though it's mischievous, sometimes that makes me love the fact that they're doing it all the more! Great post!