Thursday, June 2, 2011

Start and Maintain a Fitness Routine

That was one of the items on my Spring Soul Season list.

To be perfectly honest with you, it was because I want, I need, to lose weight. Which, I know.  I know that is the wrong reason to get back into working out.  I know, I know, I know....and yet....if I'm being truthful, that was my motivation.

Through the month of April (and, well, for several months leading up to April) I dabbled here and there.  I started a program on Monday, held strong through Tuesday, hit a bump on Wednesday and said oh, forget it, on Thursday.  Through Sunday. Then we were back to Monday and I started the whole process over again.

At the beginning of May two things happened.  1)  I started counting calories using SparkPeople and got an email that said: the best workout for losing weight is doing the activity you enjoy and 2) My friend Amanda (Hi, Amanda!) ran a 5k and had a blast and felt awesome afterwards. 

It was Mother's Day weekend and as I read her tweets and Facebook updates it hit me like a ton of bricks...I need to start running again.  These other programs are great but if I'm not going to actually, you know, exercise, then they aren't working for me. 

And that was the paradigm shift that set things in motion.

To actually make the change happen I did two things:

1)  Found a 5k to run in over the 4th of July weekend
2)  Started a workout calendar.

Collin has agreed to run the 5k with me and so we can officially say we are back "in training."  Although it's not the half marathon I had hoped to run this summer, it's something.  It's a commitment.  Since having kids I find that I only make exercise a priority when I have something I'm working towards (vs my pre-kid days when working out always came at the top of the to-do list.)  If I don't have a race or event in mind I easily put laundry (insert any other household chore here) at the top of the priority list.  So we're running a race. And I'm so. freaking. excited.

The workout calendar is a little tool I used in my college/post-college days.  The basic function is to be a visual to easily see how many times in a week you've worked out. I don't know about you, but a lot of times I think I've worked out a good number of times in a week but when I actually go back and look I realize it was only twice this week, once last week, etc.  My workout calendar keeps it real. 



Now, I'll be the first to admit that the last week of May was not stellar and that 3 weeks does not a routine make, but compared to April this calendar is rockin'. And having signed up for this July race I have faith in us that we'll put up good results in June.

And, prior to the Memorial Day weekend, where my eating went. to. shit. I had lost 4 lbs.  I was 1 lb shy of my pre-pregnancy Hutton weight.  I'm hoping someday soon I'll be able to tell you that I actually hit my pre-pregnancy Hutton weight.  But for now, I gotta jet....there are a pair of running shoes calling my name.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Ahhhh, I LOVE that I encouraged you to do a 5k!!! You know how much fun they are and how good you feel, you guys will rock it :) Meg and I will be running another one this summer but I need to get us signed up! Thanks for the reminder :)

Anonymous said...

wooot woot- cheering you on-- and I have a menu if you want one- that has lots of fruits and veggies- been loosing a 1 lb a day. I need stucture and this is. Plus my 4-5 mile runs during the week. Love you CAS

CLAREW said...

Good for you! Aaron and I have been trying to get "healthy" since Claire was born and its definitely a lifestyle change. Good Luck!
P.S. ~
By the way you already look amazing. You dont have anything to "get into shape"!

Ashleigh said...

Good for you! I have lost 12lbs. so far, but I have a lot of weight to go before prepregnancy weight for Noah! I only have 66lbs. left to lose, and I know you can lose your weight too! Maybe we could run a half marathon next year together?

BJohnsons on the Lake said...

Happy running. Dudette, do you know a good english teacher that may be able to give you some pointers? Or do you purposefully use the term loose in place of lose and loosing in place of losing? I believe you also loosed your camera in a recent post and I let that one slide but the proofreader freak in me can't let it go again without a smart ass comment.

Mama B said...

I wish we could be there, on the 4th, to cheer you guys on! You will do great Kate!

Kate said...

Thanks everyone! You know, after I hit publish on this I thought, no once cares about this stuff, I should take that post down. Now I'm so glad I didn't, I really appreciate all of your encouraging and supportive words!

@Cas - I'd LOVE the menu. Eating is 80% of my problem.

@BJohnsons - What?? I'm just makin' my Mama proud over here. I have to tell you, the first time I read this comment I thought it was from Brent (BJohnsons always screws me up) and I thought man, that's not like Brent. Then I realized it was you and I thought, oh that's effing hilarious! I love that guy! I hate lose/loose, eff them up every time. I didn't really loosed my camera, did I?? I mean, how would that ever make sense, did I eff up LOST?? Because that's bad.

Em said...

I'm so proud of you, Kate! I would love to run a 5k with you when of these days when we're BOTH not pregnant at the same time! hehe Looking forward to reading about your progress and getting inspired for after Baby #2 comes!