Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Gateway to Summer

As we were walking the dogs Sunday morning my Mom said “I’m sure there were some weekends we missed.” And she’s probably right; there probably were some Memorial Day weekends that we didn’t spend at the cabin. But I don’t remember one.



Spending this past weekend, the summer opener, Up North has been tradition for as long as I can remember. It’s a weekend we all seem to need. As the stresses of work build there is one thing that is sure to take them away: time in the woods. Hearing the loons call, playing outside in the sand, reading on the porch, watching movies at night, eating rhubarb crisp and vanilla ice cream, being disconnected from the phone and internet, these things do a body good.


We packed up Friday night after work and arrived around 9 pm. Saturday morning was spent organizing and cleaning. I’m not sure I’ve ever shown you pictures of our “deer” room at the cabin. This is our home away from home.


Our home, that I’m realizing, is in need of some decorations. I have a couple things in mind, but just haven’t run across the perfect accents yet. I’m trying to be patient because I know at some point they will show up and I’ll see them and have no doubt they were meant for this room!




Kind of like the deer nightlight I found at a little shop on Sunday.   


Saturday afternoon my Mom and Hutt and I ran some errands in town. Menards, the grocery store, and a cute little candy shop. Kira told me about it a few weeks ago when I was telling her the details of Hutton’s birthday party, she was surprised I’d never been there before. Pulling up I know I’ve seen the building before, but I had definitely never been inside. I looked around at all the cute little things and then I saw them. The candy I wanted for the party. The candy I thought I was going to have to order online. The candy in the perfect party colors. This little stop may have made my entire weekend. (Thanks, Kira!)



While we were out and about the boys were fishing and playing outside. Keaton skipped his nap and was in rare form when we got home. A request for a diaper change (he was sitting in poop!) turned into a brawl and going inside for the night. It was a tantrum to end all tantrums. My child has thrown many tantrums in his day but this one? This one was EPIC. In the midst of the screaming and kicking and arm throwing and refusing to take his diaper off we decided to throw him right in the bath. Collin and I were actually afraid he was going to fall asleep in the tub mid-scream. Thankfully by the end he calmed down and Mimi got him lotioned and dressed. Even though the steak wasn’t ready yet we made him a plate for dinner and then he promptly passed out. At the table.



That night, after the boys were in bed, Collin and my parents and I watched Up in the Air and ate just-out-of-the-oven rhubarb crisp with vanilla ice cream.  We had planned to go biking on Sunday but the weather seemed iffy – off and on sprinkling.  In the end it probably would have been fine but we never got a good enough stretch of sky to worth chancing it.  So instead the guys went fishing and my mom and I took the boys to Minocqua to do a little shopping and ice cream eating.


That night, while the lasagna was cooking, Keaton spent more time outside.  As soon as Pa Grizz arrived on Saturday afternoon Keaton wanted nothing to do with anyone else.  Pa Drr, outside!  Pa Drr, cut trees?  Pa Drr, big trac?














Sometimes we go weeks without watching a movie.  And other times we watch multiple movies in just a few days.  This weekend was the latter.  On Sunday night we watched The Mechanic.  Although I fell asleep in the middle I saw enough of the beginning and woke up in time to catch the ending that I’d say it was a pretty good one.

Keaton is sitting on my lap as I write this post and as he sees the pictures of himself he’s saying: Tee play big sand box.  Help Pa Drr. The “yard” outside the cabin’s front door is all sand and whenever we wanted Keaton to come up from the lake we’d tell him, let’s go play in the BIG sandbox!



On Sunday there was more sandbox playing and then in the afternoon we packed the boys into the bike trailer and took off for the trails.  For the first mile there was a lot of “don’t hit your brother!” but eventually they settled down and enjoyed the ride.  And a few hundred yards onto the trail they both crashed for the remainder of the trip.  I wish I would have had a picture but my cameras were all tucked away.  Actually, they were like that for the majority of the weekend as we breathed in the fresh air and listened to the birds chirping and the chipmunks scatter.

Memorial Day weekend is the Gateway to Summer for me.  While some years I dread the heat and humidity of these next few months, this year I’m looking forward to it.  I have a number of posts I want to write in the next couple of weeks to wrap up our spring because my eye is definitely on summer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh- love this- yes there is just something about being "up North" - so peaceful- glad you enjoyed it! CAS

Patten Family said...

I just want to say that I absolutely died laughing as I pictured my girls in your bike trailor and myself saying, "Don't Hit Your Sister!"

Seems to be the household saying nowadays. Thanks for sharing!

Em said...

The cabin has come so far. So glad you guys have a wonderful place like that to go to get away and relax and enjoy!