Thursday, May 26, 2011

Around the House: Mud Room

As part of my Spring Soul Season list I wanted to spring clean the entire house.  Or, at least start the process.  Our April weekends were booked and the beginning of May wasn't much better but this past weekend it rained all day on Saturday and it was the perfect day to roll up our sleeves and scrub a room down.  Plus, my mom was here to watch the boys, which made the process so much easier. 

We started with the mud room because I'm Type A Extreme and in my cleaning process this is always the room that I begin with because it's the first one (in my mind) of the house.  In addition to the "normal" cleaning we also had the rugs professionally cleaned, removed the blinds and washed them down, re-varnished the window, cleaned the woodwork and light fixtures, and the big one, cleaned and organized the closet.

As we clean each room I thought it'd be a good time to continue our home tour.  So, welcome to our mud room.


When entering our house from the garage you walk into the kitchen.  The mud room door is immediately to your right.  It's a half bath and our laundry room.  It's also where we keep all of our shoes, bags, the garbage can, and cleaning supplies.

You'll have to pardon the glare in a lot of these pictures.  I tried taking shots without the flash but those pictures didn't correctly show the color of the room.  The color in these pictures is much more accurate.


When we were struggling to get pregnant with Keaton, Busha leaned into me one night at a graduation party and whispered - we need to feng shui your house.  Collin and his Dad like to call it Feng Shit, but I love this stuff and even if Collin likes to make fun of it, I secretly think he loves it too.  You can't deny the energy it creates in a space.  But anyway, I'm telling you this because it explains the decor in our mud room.  The wall our toilet sits on was in our "creativity and children" quadrant and needed a little help. While we were at it, we spruced up the opposite walls as well.

The wall behind our washer and dryer was in the section of "helpful people and travel" so we put two pictures up from our Summer of 2007 trip to Boston (the first picture) and Nantucket (the second picture.)  This was the last "big" trip we've been on and we took it just as we started trying to get pregnant.  In fact, I remember buying a pregnancy test while on the Island.  Of course, it was negative; it would be almost a year later before we actually got pregnant, but I love the fact that this trip tied into our ttc journey.


With Feng Shui, one way to improve your "helpful people and travel" section is to include "religious items" so we placed two shelves, putting a candle on one and an angel on the other.  The angel was given to me by Amanda and is inscribed with the saying "We can do no great things - only small things with great love. ~ Mother Teresa" Above the candle hangs a picture of Collin and I with one of our Godsons, Lil Bear, on the day of his birth.  The matting includes the definition of "faith."


Moving past the window and to the other back corner of the room is the toilet - our "creativity and children " section.  As you can imagine it calls for symbols of children.  We decided to just add pictures of children.  Although I rotate the pictures in these frames, they are always of kids that are special to us.  Currently I have the black and white pictures Auntie CaS took of the boys this winter up there.  Next to the picture of Hutt is The Dancer Willow Tree Figurine.  Amanda also gave this to me, knowing I'd absolutely LOVE anything to do with dance.  One of my biggest regrets in life is quitting dance in high school.  My mom said I'd regret it, and she was totally right.

On our toilet you will always find a magazine or two.  Usually the Pottery Barn catalog and some sort of Sports Illustrated.


To the left of the toilet is the sink and the shelving unit that holds our shoes and bags.


Oh!  And a big fat cat!


By the door hangs this black and white of the Eiffel Tower and a key holder with scenes from France.  Both of these were given to me by Jill because we always wanted to go to France together with our moms and she knew how much I loved all of her French decor in her apartment.  It's been years since I've been to France but someday I'm getting back there!!


Finishing off the room is our newly organized! closet.


With this spring cleaning process we want to get rid of and simply, which makes me feel a little guilty that we actually purchased a couple of things for this closet.  We added the big organizer on the left to hold dog food, light bulbs, cleaning rags, and random stuff from the diaper bag/extra rolls of toilet paper.  We also bought those two blue baskets under the shelving unit.  I LOVE these things; they are exactly what I needed in this room and because I feel they are simplifying my life I feel much less guilty about the purchase.  One is for dirty towels/rags and the other is for dirty bibs/cloth napkins.  I always have these two ongoing piles of laundry on the mud room floor and they drive me mad.  Now they are still there, but hidden, out of sight, and organized.  Totally worth the $10.


And that's it!  That's our mud room.  Next up, the dining room.  Which we're hoping to get done before Hutton's birthday party at the end of June.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW- great job- that is extensive cleaning if i've ever heard so~! Looks great! Lov you CaS

Jill said...

Awesome post - I need to live vicariously (sp?) through you because I cannot get to my spring cleaning (what am I talking about, I can't get to cleaning!) :) We decided that the baby's room, garage, and basement needed to be cleaned/organized before the baby came, so pretty much anything else gets left until I can't stand it anymore! :) Oh well...I can enjoy your clean house at least! :) Don't feel bad about the purchase to help simplify - totally agree it's worth it! Looks great!

Kate W. said...

I am SO jealous of your Spring cleaning!

I love this post- it is another reminder of "internet friends" and getting to know them more than you think you already do... I love the wall color too!

Em said...

Mud room looks great, and I'm digging your storage solutions. I love the idea of these posts and can't wait to see what you showcase next! :)