Friday, April 1, 2011

Sledding at the Golf Course

I was updating my Soul in the Season page the other night when I realized that I never posted about our sledding trip over Christmas.  Shortly before we headed south for Christmas my sister-in-law posted about taking our nephew sledding at the golf course in our home town.  The instant I read that post I knew that I wanted to take Keaton if time allowed.

If I think about my childhood I have distinct memories of each season; in the spring my Dad would take us saneing, in the summer we'd swim in our pool. My memory from winter is sledding at the golf course. As kids we'd spend all day there and then come home to make hot chocolate with candy canes.  As we got older we'd call our friends and meet on the hills. And by the time I was in high school, or visiting in college, I'd cross country ski out there with my Dad.  The golf course, though usually thought to be a summer hot spot, was also big in the winter.

So the day after Christmas we bundled the kids up and headed to the golf course.

It was chilly and windy, but fun to be in the snow.

Everyone lined up at the top of the hill and Keaton and Mimi prepared for their first trip.

Keats was a little unsure about all of this at first...






















But after his second trip down (with Mama) he couldn't wait to get to the top to try it again.















And by Trip #3 we finally...

 got...



a smile!




















Unfortunately, because it was so chilly that was about the extend of our trip; Mimi and Hutt had already moved to the car and Keaton was getting cold.  I forgot how much fun sledding can be, and I can't wait to go again next year.


2 comments:

Jill said...

That's awesome! I would guess there are few children from Earlville who don't have fond memories of sledding at the golf course! Thanks for the tip...we'll have to try that when we're home next year!

Em said...

Another fun tradition you're starting! :)