Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What's for Dinner Wednesday: Garlic Chicken

Growing up I don't remember eating boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  At least not until about, hmmm, maybe high school?  Before that it was always the bone-in chicken.  I assume this was largely due to affordability.  Since watching Food, Inc. I have a really hard time buying chicken in the store.  So when our local meat market was running a special on 'hind quarters' I bought a few to stick in the freezer. 

This is a recipe I remember my mom making when we were young.  It is a family recipe that came from my Aunt Candy (Hi Aunt Candy!!); I'm not sure where it originated, but I am sure that it tastes delicious.  Healthy, it is not. Yummy, it is.

Garlic Chicken
1 Cup melted butter (my mom's note says she uses 1/2 cup.)
accent with:
garlic powder
onion powder (or salt) (I used minced onion because I had neither of the other two)
parsley flakes
salt & pepper

Pour butter over chicken (don't have to brown first). Sprinkle other ingredients over all. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.


We had baked yams and steamed broccoli on the side and I have enough left over chicken (because OMG those were big quarters!) to use in tomorrow nights dinner.

What did you have for dinner?

***

Today was a rough day.  I could tell you about how I had to work until noon. Or how the boys Refused. To. Nap. Or how I heard "Tee, outside?" 8 bajillion, million, frillion times. Or how Keaton has started this throwing streak every time he doesn't get his way. Or how Hutt has to be held, facing out, otherwise he is not happy. 

But instead I'll just tell you this. 

Tonight I opened a bottle of wine and I'm on glass #2 and tonight Collin took the garbage out and partook in a cigar.  Or two.  THAT about sums up our day.

5 comments:

Em said...

I love how easy and yummy this sounds. Will definitely have to try it! And I so hear ya on wanting to buy natural and organic chicken after seeing Food, Inc. Heck, we'd buy organic EVERYTHING if we could!

Em said...

Oh, I know what I wanted to ask. How much chicken is the recipe made for? 1 lb.? 2 lbs.?

Kate said...

Em, you know, this recipe doesn't specify the amount of chicken. I had 3 big hind quarters (leg & thigh combined) - one for each of us (although if I would have looked at those closer in the store I would have only bought 2, we had alot left over!) - you really can use any amount, I would just make sure that your butter at least covers all of your chicken and then sprinkle the remaining on as much as you'd like. Keaton sprinkled a little salt in my pan before we started; that's the beauty - it didn't matter!

Oh and yes, I so wish we could buy everything organic. Or local. I look forward to summer and the farmer's markets opening again!

Jill said...

Sorry you had a rough day...those are the pits cause it's usually more than one thing that goes wrong! Hope things have gotten better since then!

Your talking about the chicken made me think of it...Andy's parents sell low-fat beef at their shop in Mendota, if you're ever interested in trying it. It's their own, they raise it and package at their shop. It's very lean...when you cook hamburger, you don't even have to drain it cause there is no fat. It's a little pricier than what you get in a store, but it's good. No pressure, but just a thought.

Thanks for the delicios-sounding recipe! We had enchiladas for dinner Wednesday, using the recipe on the back of the El Paso enchilada sauce can! Mmm...mmm...good!

Kate said...

Jill, that's right! I forgot about that. I should remind my parents. We bought a 1/4 of a cow from a family friend up here this year and it is also so lean there is no fat when you cook it. It amazes me. And it tastes SO GOOD. So much better than in the store. I would love to try out Andy's parents...I'll have to remember to make a run there when we are in town.