Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What's for Dinner Wednesday: Barbecued Pulled Pork

Wow, I just rock at this.  So this is Week 3 of What's for Dinner Wednesday and if you remember I didn't cook on Week 2 and oh, guess what, I didn't cook again today!  Our "dinner schedule" is a little wonky this week because of St. Patrick's Day tomorrow. So instead of doing a big meal tonight we planned on doing leftovers/something quick and doing our big meal tomorrow.  It just so happened that we still had leftovers from Monday night so tonight we had pulled pork....again.  BUT, this recipe is so delicious we don't even mind eating it three nights in a row. 

From the Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly cookbook:

Barbecued Pork (pg 94)
2 lbs. boneless pork top loin
1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup diet soda
1 cup low-sodium barbecue sauce (I'm gonna be honest, I use any 'ol bbq sauce)

Place pork in slow cooker. Combine all other ingredients in a bowl and pour over pork.
Cover.   Cook on high 4-6 hours or until tender.
Slice or shred.  Stir back into sauce.
Serve on wheat or multi-grain buns


One of the reasons I love this recipe is that is doubles (or quadruples or actually, I've done even bigger) really well and makes a great meal for a party.

What did you have for dinner tonight?

***

In other news the boys and I had a great day today.  We made something special this morning (check out the Enjoying Today page, can you guess what it is?), we all napped together in the glider for a bit this afternoon, we played in the snow and Keaton and I made snow angels (related: my ass is really wide!), and we made Irish Soda bread for tomorrow night's dinner.  It was one of those "perfect days."  Well, that is until about 6 pm when Kira called and I said "I'm just at that point in the day where I'm ready for Collin to get home." Which was entirely the truth, a good day, but still, at the end you just need a break.

Wishing you all a Happy St. Patrick's Day, remember to wear green tomorrow!

2 comments:

Jill said...

What a great day! Dinner tonight was leftover as well (story of our life!), but it was homemade chicken noodle soup....mmm, mmm...good!

I can't tell what the Enjoying today pic was of, but it looks like he had fun and that's the best part! Have to go make some green jello now! Happy St. Pat's!

Em said...

Looks good! I've been during bbq pork or chicken a lot lately in he crockpot because it's so easy! We had crockpot lasagna last night and it was really good.