Monday, March 28, 2011

A week of sick. A weekend of travel.

It was a Thursday night, about 10 days ago now, when Keats first spiked a fever in the middle of the night.  We gave him Tylenol, which did the trick and he fell back to sleep for the remainder of the night.  But Friday afternoon he spiked one again, low-grade, but definitely still to the point of bothering him. And again on Friday night.

 Last Saturday morning we had plans to travel to Milwaukee for a birthday party and I called my cousin in the morning to tell her what was going on.  The Tylenol was always doing the trick, he looks fine now, but I don't know, he might be coming down with something.  My cousin has three kids and with each one she has become more and more relaxed, she said she didn't care, if he was puking just bring a bucket along.  So we loaded the boys up and they traveled well and had a great time playing with their cousins.  We got home that night and had decided that we thought Keaton was teething.  But then Sunday the nose started to run.  And run, and run.  And by Monday is was obvious that it was not teething, it was definitely a cold. 

He continued to wake up in the middle of the night for the next couple of nights, usually with a fever, sometimes coughing/choking on the stuff draining in the back of his throat. His nose continued to run and his cheeks became raw from him swiping the snot with his sleeve - which usually occurred right after I said come here, let's blow your nose, swwwwipe!  At the beginning of last week he was coming home from Mama Boosh's with droopy eyes and no appetite so we lathered him up with vick's baby rub, put balm on his cheeks and ran a vaporizer in the room. 

On Wednesday Hutt refused to eat, he was cranky, and he also woke up with a fever.  Now, we not only had one sick kid, but two. It was like a spa at our house that night...a sick spa.  Collin ran out to get a new vaporizer because ours is in need of a new filter but we can't find one, he got that running with a vick's vapor plug in, the boys were bathed, lathered, and everyone stayed in our room for the night.  I can't remember how many times Hutt woke up that night, but I'm pretty sure I nursed him almost the entire night through, it was the only thing that soothed him. 

Repeat that Thursday night and Friday night.  On Saturday we had plans to head to my parent's for the weekend and over to Michigan for Lucy's 1st birthday party on Sunday but we didn't know what to do.  Do you put sick kids in the car?  Make them travel?  Will it be good for them to get some fresh air?  Should I run them to the doctor first to make sure it's nothing more than a cold?? I don't know!!  It's times like these that parenting gig is so hard.  You're not just making decisions for yourself, and what is the right decision??

Although Hutt had a rough morning, we ended up packing them up and hitting the road around 2 pm on Saturday afternoon.  I think it was a good idea.  Both boys slept the entire way and when we got there they had runny noses and Hutt was coughing, but they were in good spirits.  That night one of my best friends from high school came down for dinner and we got to spend some time catching up and on Sunday Collin and I headed over to Em & Drew's for Lucy's birthday party, leaving the boys at home with Mimi and Pa Grizz. 

The weather was perfect for a road trip, it was good for Collin and I to spend a little time alone (even if it was in a car), and of course, it was so great to see Em and Drew.  I got a little choked up singing Happy Birthday, it doesn't seem possible that Lucy is already one, and then I pulled Em downstairs with me to chat while I pumped.  Hey, whatever works for girl time, right?

We got back to my parent's around 9 pm last night and put bets on if the boys would be asleep.  I said Hutt yes, Keat no.  We walked in and I heard "Pa Drrr, Mama? Dada?" I was right, and that kid melts my heart.

Hutt had another pretty rough night last night, waking up just screaming in pain.  We decided we were going to get home and get him to the doctor to make sure he didn't have an ear infection but when I got home and called they couldn't get me in.  That's a little odd, no?  That NO docs are available to see a sick kid??  It kind of pissed me off.  But since I made that call he has seemed better and better.  Nose isn't running, only coughing a little, good spirits.  So I'm throwing my hands up, I have no idea what I'm doing here! 

We're giving him another night, if it goes as badly as last night we'll be taking him in tomorrow. I'm praying tonight goes better.  I'm praying everyone is on the upswing, getting healthy.  And I'm praying the weather warms up a bit so I can air out this house and rid of these germs.  Spring!  Where are you??

8 comments:

Kim's Crafty Apple said...

Sorry your boys are sick! It is no fun! I swear we went through almost 3 months of on/off sickness this winter (Christmas - March)...it was ridiculous! The girls both have colds right now but I'm praying I don't get them...labor and not being able to breathe doesn't seem like a good combination :)

Take care!

CLAREW said...

It's rough! Claire just went through the same thing. Andrew some how only had it for 1 day????? Hope they're feeling better and you two make it out healthy!

Em said...

Ugh! I'm sorry that sickness is still hanging on...how exhausting! Hope everyone's better soon. Thank you SO MUCH for coming to Lucy's party. I hope it felt worth the drive. We absolutely loved seeing you and were so glad to have you come, even if it was too short a visit. Like you said, we'll take whatever we can get! ;) Love you!

Amanda said...

Sorry to hear they are sick :( I'm so sick of winter/cold/sickness the whole bit!!! BRING ON SUMMER :)

Jill said...

Ugh, that is rough! Totally on board with not knowing how to make those decisions! We had to cancel out of a couple of things cause our whole family had it a couple weeks ago. After 5 days of fever, we took Em in and they gave her a nebulizer for labored breathing and then Ben got it with double-ear infections! And of course I got it too and couldn't take anything! I'm with everyone...bring on spring/summer! Hope all are feeling better!

Kristal said...

I'm right there with the sickness now. And I can totally relate to the line about not knowing how many times Hutton was up, that you just nursed him all night long. That was the same thing here with our eight-month-olds!

Kristal said...

I'm right there with the sickness now. And I can totally relate to the line about not knowing how many times Hutton was up, that you just nursed him all night long. That was the same thing here with our eight-month-olds!

Kate said...

@Kristal - Sorry to hear your little ones have been sick too. Hope everyone is feeling better soon! Also, I so miss reading your blog...did you move or just go private?