Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!!   I hope you wore green, ate corned beef, threw back a beer or two, or did an Irish jig...whatever it is you do to celebrate this holiday.  Here's how we celebrated this year...

Decorations




















It's hard to tell in the picture but our grapevine tree was adorned with these little guys.  Keaton loved playing with them.









Remember how I said I was going to get one new decoration for each holiday each year?  This was my new St. Patrick's Day decoration, it's the Celtic Love Knot warmer from Scentsy.  We've been melting the Shades of Green brick and it smells awesome.

Food
In the past we've always opted for corned beef and sauerkraut (made into Reubens) on St. Patty's but I decided this year I wanted to do a traditional St. Patty's Day meal: corned beef and cabbage and Irish Soda Bread.  For fun I also made a green yogurt jello salad and colored our milk green.

I'm not kidding you you guys, this was the best corned beef I've ever had ever.  I bought it fresh from the meat market last Saturday (and stuck it in the freezer for a couple of days;) I paid a little more per pound to get the "premium cut" and it was A-Mazing. My brother and Kira stopped by real quick while we were eating and I gave Justin a little to try. He told Kira he was in a "corned beef coma" I'd say that about sums it up. I'll definitely be making this meal again next year.

For dessert I made Irish coffee  for myself, but it wasn't that great and I ended up dumping half of it out.

Wearing Green



Catching Leprechauns
Did anyone guess what Keaton and I were making yesterday?





Hutton even got to help.


After Keats had it colored he added stickers..


...and when Collin got home from work Keaton showed him his Leprechaun trap!

Before bed last night Collin set it up for him...


...and told him he had to be really quiet if the trap was down in the morning because Leprechauns are quick and sneaky and would try to escape.

I wasn't really sure if Keaton would remember that we had set this trap last night, on Christmas morning we had to remind him about Santa coming, but this morning he woke up, popped his head up (he was sleeping in our bed), and said Yep-can?

He ran out to the living room and ripped that box up as quickly as he could.

When the pile of gold fell out he was not impressed. 

Where is my Leprechaun??

When we showed him it was special chocolate gold he was much happier. 

But for good measure he shoved Lucky in the box anyway.

Hope you all had a very Happy St. Patrick's Day!

5 comments:

Gail said...

Awesome, Kate! It sounds like you had a great St. Pat's. You inspire me to do so much more! I'm looking for more decorations and fun things to celebrate as well. Jacob called me at work yesterday to tell me "there were leprechaun prints all over my school! They were on the table, on the rug, and everywhere!" He too left special gold. Sadly, I didn't take any pictures of anything - my crabby leprechaun told me to "keep the cramma in the bag!"

Em said...

You are truly Super Mom, my dear! I can only hope to do half of the cool things you do with my own kids! P.S. I'm LOVING that Celtic Love Knot thingy! So pretty. And the boys look so cute all decked out. Also, how did you like the raisins in the Irish Soda Bread? It is pretty traditional to do it that way, but can you believe we've never made it with them before?!

Kristal said...

I love St. Patrick's Day, too! You've given me some awesome new ideas for next year!!

CaSondra Shim said...

OMG- This is hilarious- I love your St.Patty's day tradistions- especially making the Lep. Trap- His photo of him looking into the box to find the Lep. is PRICEELESS!!!!!! Thanks for sharing- it makes me feel like I get to celebrate with them in a tiny way! Wish so much I could squeeze them now- okay I am going to stop as the tears are flowing- just miss you guys!!!!!

Jill said...

This is awesome - I never would've guessed a Lep trap! What a great idea! Looks like you had a great day!