Sunday, December 12, 2010

Dear Hutton: 5 Months

Dear Hutton,


You recently turned five months old. I remember when your brother was right around this age, 5-6 months, when someone told me that this was their favorite age. You are beyond the colicky infant stage and old enough that your personality shines with smiles and coos and giggles, yet you’re still young enough that you aren’t yet mobile and getting into things every two seconds. And at this moment your (almost two year old) brother is walking around the house screaming DADA! At the top of his lungs and so I’m going to add yelling to that list as well. I remember as she was telling me this I nodded my head in agreement.  I love all of these baby stages, but I have to admit this one, 5-6 months, is really great.


That personality of yours, it is really shining these days. The other day someone asked me if you and your brother have different personalities. Ha! I laughed, yes. And I told them, my oldest has my personality, Type A to the extreme, and the youngest? Well, sometimes we think he is smoking something he is so happy all the time. You have the biggest gummy smiles ever and people don’t need to give you much in order to get one, just a simple Hi and you smile and squeal. Sometimes your daddy and I joke with you and say “the snozberries taste like snozberries!” You won’t understand that now, but someday (when you are much, much older) we’ll show you Super Troopers and you’ll get it. Suffice it to say, you are a happy, happy boy. I’m so grateful for your differing personalities, while your brother keeps me grounded you keep me light hearted. It’s a nice balance.


You are not mobile yet; you really have no interest in rolling over. During tummy time you pop your head up and laugh at us and when you’re tired you lie down and suck on your fingers. And when you’re really really tired of it, you shoot your arms out to the sides and belly surf while you scream. However, you do have a new pastime. The exersaucer. We weren’t sure you were quite ready for it but you didn’t care for the swing or the bouncer so we gave it a shot this month. And it was a good idea. Just like your brother this is one thing that will hold your attention. Usually Keaton sits with you and plays and you stare so intently at him. It is so obvious that you are going to look up to him and want to do everything he does in a few shorts months. Your daddy and I are thankful for this discovery because it gives us a few minutes to change a load of laundry or make breakfast and get food on the table.



All-in-all I don’t mind your growing up and getting older. Each stage is new and fun and exciting; but there is one thing that I’m having a hard time with. This month we took a step backwards in the sleep department. At four months old you seemed to be getting closer to making it through the night and were only waking once or twice. It was right around the first of the month that things started to change. It happened to coincide with the time change and I thought that might have something to do with it; suddenly you were waking up more frequently and were harder to soothe in the middle of the night. We’ve had a few nights of scream fests, which really, you haven’t ever had so this was all a little strange. I’m not sure when it first crossed my mind that maybe you were growing out of co-sleeping, but I do know that I instantly pushed that thought from my head. It wasn’t until one morning when I was too exhausted to struggle with you that I handed you to your daddy and you didn’t stop fussing for him either when I said, okay, I’m just going to try it. I took you from him, laid you back down in your bed and just like that you were out. Since then when you wake in the middle of the night and stir/fuss I lay you down and almost every time it is exactly what you were looking for. I know you are getting older, I know this is the first of many times you will state your independence but buddy, I don’t necessarily like it.



At five months we have basically stopped giving you a nuk, you either spit it out or act as if it is choking you so we soothe now by rocking or bouncing or walking around. You are still drinking strictly breast milk but by the way you smack your lips when you see food I’m pretty sure rice cereal is in your near future. You have the heartiest laugh that sometimes I mistake you for your brother. You chew on your hands and love looking in mirrors. You have started to purposely grab things and have a killer grip, especially when you have my hair or neck. Yes, you like to grab people’s necks. You have deep blue eyes that twinkle when you smile and you are so ticklish, especially on the bottom of your feet.




You fill my heart with joy, Baby Boy.
I love you,
Mama

4 comments:

CaSondra Shim said...

I live for these post and pictures- can't wait to squeeze these boys! The countdown begins.. 10 days and we'll be home!

Em said...

Hahaha...loved the Super Trooper reference! Your little man is so cute, Kate. Since I'm so far away, I love learning more about him and his little personality through these posts. It is amazing how every child is such their own little person...that he's so different than his big brother. I can definitely see how you've got a good balance going there, Mama. :)

Amanda said...

Oh man I don't think Hutt can get any cuter! I could just eat him up :). Lovely post as always!

PathwaysMom said...

Hi there,
I came across your adorable blog and thought your little guy's tummy time photo would be a great entry in Pathways Awareness' Holiday Tummy Time Baby Photo Contest.

Three winners each receive a certificate, a $20 Starbucks gift card, and a photo mug with which to display their favorite photo.

For more details and to enter, visit: http://wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/79944?ogn=facebook

Happy Holidays!