Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Stress and Christmas Songs

So, the stress of this time of year has caught up with me.  I've been all nonchalant all week thinking, oh, it will all get done.  But guess what??  Tomorrow we have Collin's family coming over for dinner, the house is still dirty, I still have gifts to pick up....crap, I still have a gift to BUY, my last card is sitting in front of me (finally addressed), there are two more batches of peppermint bark to be made, and a grocery list to be written and purchased. 

I'm stressing out.

Since I can't think straight and surely can't form the thoughts I wanted to write about tonight (not to mention it's after midnight and I need to go to bed already!) let's talk Christmas songs instead. I love, love, love listening to Christmas music.  It goes on immediately following Thanksgiving and plays pretty much nonstop around here until Christmas is over.  My favorite Christmas CDs are actually from Victoria's Secret - which sounds weird, I know, but they are an awesome mix of songs.  Some of my other favorites....

...favorite funny Christmas song, which seems to always lighten my mood, is the parody of  The 12 Days of Christmas. With my favorite part being about the Christmas lights.  "One light goes out they ALL go out!" "Fine, you think you're so smart? YOU rig up the lights!"

...favorite "real" Christmas song is Do You Hear What I Hear?

...favorite song with Collin is Baby, It's Cold Outside.  It's like 'our song' you know, like when you were in high school. Are we the only weirdos with a Christmas song?  Wait...don't answer that. 

Okay, go.  I want to hear your favoriest Christmas songs.

8 comments:

TeamNee said...

Bruce Springsteen's "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". :)

Merry Christmas Kate!

Katharine said...

My favorite has always been "O Holy Night".

Merry Christmas and I hope the stress goes away... have a great time tonight!

Kira said...

My favorite is also "O Holy Night", it gets me every time.

Em said...

"O Holy Night" is my favorite traditional Christmas song. Even though my voice isn't as good as it once was and can't quite hit the high notes, I still seem to think I can sing along to it. It honestly brings me to tears almost every time I hear it! "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (sung by either James Taylor or Judy Garland--both versions are amazing) is a close second."Carol of the Bells" is probably a close third (okay, I guess I really like Christmas music...).

"Mary, Did You Know?" (favorite version by Kathy Mattea) is another favorite, though it's not really traditional.

Always sing along to "Baby, It's Cold Outside," too. :)

My favorite Christmas music compilations lately have actually been my Polar Express and Charlie Brown Christmas soundtracks.

Good luck getting everything done, hon. Sending positive vibes your way.

Merry Christmas, Konos!

Amy Bomstad said...

I guess I am right there with everyone else. "O Holy Night." Your house looks soooo cozy all decorated! And I LOVE the Willow nativity scene. Sorry I have been totally slacking on comments lately. Anyway, your Christmas card is adorable! Hope you all have a Merry Christmas....everything will get done and if not...who cares...you will be with family!

Love,
Amy

Kate said...

Okay you guys are seriously making me reconsider my favorite Christmas song. I can honestly say I don't think I've heard "O Holy Night" yet this year. Next time I think of it I'm going to be thinking of all of you (and probably crying).

Em - I always think of you when I hear "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and though not traditional I LOVE "Mary, Did you Know?"

Merry Christmas everyone!

amanda said...

I'm with everyone else..."O Holy Night" is my favorite song to sing at church. Gives me chills every time. Louie Armstrong's "Baby, It's Cold Outside" becomes my ringtone the day after Thanksgiving. But my favorite CD is by Point of Grace. They have beautiful voices! If I had to pick a fave from the CD, it would be "Not That Far From Bethlehem." It's amazing! Oh, and Boyz to Men's "Silent Night." Enough said!

Jill said...

Alright, I'm late responding to this (after Christmas), but my favorite Christmas song is Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" and this year, we got one!! I was SO excited!

The Christmas CD that is most-played in our house: Charlie Brown's Christmas...because the kids are in LOVE with the movie and they like the songs when they can't watch it on TV. :) And wouldn't you know, those little buggers have memorized the song "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing" because the kids sing it in the end of the movie and we have played the CD so much! They can sing the entire first verse by themselves perfectly in tune! The only part that is a little off is Emma sings the part "with angelic hosts" as "with an-jelly hosts", but she's 4, so I guess I can't be too picky! :)

Glad to hear all of the other favorites! Merry Christmas, everyone!