Thursday, September 23, 2010

Soul in the Season: Fall 2010

Given today is the first day of fall I thought it would be appropriate for me to finally post my Fall Soul Season list.  But!  Before I do that I wanted to take a second to review my Summer list

With Hutton making his debut in June I will always have fond memories of this summer.  I loved being home with the boys - taking them for walks in the mornings, rocking them to sleep for their naps, and spending the afternoon coloring, playing in the yard, or baking.  Yes, it was a good summer.  Making it even better and more memorable were some of the things that we did off this list.

1) Eat an ice cream cone and let Keaton have his first very own cone. - As I posted last night, Keaton had his first cone!

2) Have a bonfire and make s'mores.  We also did this on vacation, post to come!

3)  Go blueberry picking. - I posted about this here. I didn't actually go picking but I did get two batches of blueberries from the farm down the road and we made lots of yummy stuff!

4)  Spend an afternoon at the beach.  When I wrote this I was thinking about a beach not far from our house.  Due to the timing of Hutt's arrival we never got down to this beach, but we did take Keaton to the beach near our cabin.  Post on this to come!

5) Make a conscious effort to buy produce locally at the various Farmer's Markets.  I think I might have done even better at this than I had anticipated.  Basically my rule this summer was this: if I can purchase it (fruit and/or veggies) at the Farmer's Market or the Co-op, then I will not buy it at the grocery store. And for the most part, I really stuck to this.  I can recall 1 or 2 instances that I didn't but I even made a trip to the market while shopping for Hutton's baptism party.  I posted about this here

6)  Have a cookout and use the outdoor serving set we got for our wedding.  We did not do this.  We did have several cookouts but I never dug out the set.  Next summer.

7) Make cheeseburgers from scratch.  Also a summer dessert.  I made cheeseburgers when we were on vacation and they were delish!  I forgot how tasty homemade burgers really were.  When I wrote the bit about a summer dessert I think I was thinking strawberry shortcake.  I didn't make that, but I did make a couple of different blueberry desserts.  My favorite was the blueberry crisp.

8)  Celebrate the 4th of July with a parade and fireworks.  We did not celebrate the 4th this year because Hutt and I were still in the NICU.  It was for the best though because it was rainy and nasty up here on the 4th, so next summer.  Next summer.

***

When I started working on my fall list a couple of weekends ago Collin looked over and said: but those were on your list last year!

I've contemplated whether this list needs to be new things, things not on last year's list, and I've decided no, it doesn't.  When I started this a year ago it was because I felt like the daily grind was sucking the life out of me.  The purpose of this exercise is to nourish your soul, to feel and appreciate all that the season has to offer.  So I think it's okay if some (or even all) of the items on your list are the same as the previous year, as long as those things warm your heart and feed your soul. And that leads me to my Fall 2010 list:
  • Take the boys to the apple orchard and make apple sauce, apple crisp, and apple cinnamon muffins.
  • Make caramel apples with Papa & Busha.
  • Go to the pumpkin patch and carve pumpkins.
  • Make the kids Halloween costumes.
  • Take pictures during fall colors.
  • Make pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and bring a batch into work.
  • Come up with an "activity" for the kids on Thanksgiving and continue our Thankful Tree tradition from last year.
  • Make Kim's Salsa Pumpkin Soup
  • Try a new kind of squash.
***
I'll be posting this list to the new Soul in the Season page, crossing them off as they are completed and sharing the details with you here.  I'd love to hear what all of you are doing this season.  Will you write a list?  I'll link to them on the new page so we can all be inspired.

2 comments:

Kate W. said...

I LOVE this! I will have to think about it and let you know! Fall is my favorite time of year!

Jill said...

I still LOVE these Soul in the Season posts...it's such a great idea! I'll have to work on one after we get back from vacation...it's not too late in the end of October to start the fall list, right??!! :) Good luck with you list!