Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Dear Hutton: 3 Months

Dear Hutton,
Yesterday you turned 3 months old.  This has been such a fun month because I feel like you are exiting the “infant” stage and entering the “baby” stage, which is to say your personality is really starting to shine through.  I still believe that you are going to be a laid back little boy.  Your Daddy still thinks you are going to be just as active as your brother and I don’t doubt that but my feeling is that as you grow up and when you are an adult you will let things roll off of you pretty easily.  I think you’ll find joy in the small things.  I can see you being a family man who helps others but does so quietly.  I think you will have a big heart and a small temper.  Basically, I think you’re going to be a lot like your Grandpa Grizz and your Dad. 

I realize you are only three months old and these are big things to be predicting for such a little guy but I still can’t get over how easily you have meshed into this family and I think that has a lot to do with your general temperament.   In the middle of this month I had to return to work; I was nervous about this because it meant change.  It meant giving up our “normal” and adjusting to something new.  We are now three weeks into our new routine and although we’ve had some bumps to work out along the way for the most part this transition has been smooth.  You have adjusted just fine to spending the day with Busha  - giving her smiles and coos and oh yes, peeing on her while she changed you!


However, the one thing I have noticed in the last few days is that you will often get fussy right when I walk in the door from work, almost as soon as you hear my voice.  We’ll try everything to calm you but it seems all you want is to be nursed, even if you’ve just eaten within the hour.  I realize now that this has nothing to do with being hungry and everything to do with wanting Mommy time.  And this is fine with me.  In fact, this is more than fine, this is awesome, I love that you need me to hold you close, to snuggle you and kiss your cheeks, because it is exactly what I want to do when I come home from a day at the office.

Speaking of smiles and coos, you have been doing so much of this lately.  You love it when I trace your face, starting at your forehead and dragging my fingers down your cheeks.  Your eyes light up every time and as you smile your cheeks engulf your face.  You make this little noise that sounds like Hi! and your brother and daddy and I always say Hi! right back to you.  You’ve also been enjoying lying on your activity mat.  You kick your little feeties, wave your arms, and look intently at all the objects hanging above you.  The other day you laid like this for probably a half hour while I worked on cleaning out the closet in your nursery.  You were as content as can be; all I had to do every once in awhile was squeeze the plush little chick to play some music for you.


Unfortunately, not everything is perfect.  You are still dealing with the hernia and, despite what all the doctors tell us, you are still in pain.  You are a baby, you have fussy/colicky periods where nothing we do consoles you. We understand that, that’s normal.  What’s not normal is the way you act during one of “these” episodes.  When the hernia (or whatever it is that is causing this) is bothering you you let out ear-piercing screams, you shake your head back and forth, raise your arms and tremble, you turn bright red and sweat profusely.  It is the most heart-wrenching thing to watch because this most often happens in the car and all I can do is hold your hands, whisper in your ear that it’s okay, and pray to God that it will pass.  Every time it nearly brings me to tears.  We’re taking you to a pediatric surgeon next week to get a second opinion and I’m hoping they will do something to fix this or investigate further to make sure nothing else is wrong.
At three months you have transitioned from hating bath time to tolerating bath time (we’re not quite to ‘enjoying’ yet, but I think someday you might get there). You let us know when your diaper is dirty and don’t mind being changed. You have a roll in your neck where you like to hide left-over milk (Mommy seems to always discover this when she tries to breath in your sweet baby goodness and recoils abruptly as the scent is anything but sweet and everything sour ). You wear size 0-3 mo. clothes and still eat between 4 and 4.5 ounces about every three hours. You go to bed in your bassinet around 8:30 but always seem to make your way into our bed in the wee hours of the morning. You love to be held and snuggled and your soft little body tucked up against mine makes getting up in the morning incredibly tough.



If I could I’d keep you this little for just a bit longer.  But I can’t and so instead I’ll look forward to what the next month will bring.
I love you Hutter Butters,
Mama

4 comments:

Amanda said...

This is such an amazing keepsake for you and your boys! They will appreciate this more than you know when they are older :) Thanks for another heartwarming story

CLAREW said...

PRECIOUS!!!!

Patten Family said...

He's cute and tiny I read! Shelby is in 3-6 month comfortable...hahah. Too funny. He's cute though!

Em said...

3 months already? So hard to believe! He's so cute...I just want to kiss those little cheeks!