Thursday, July 1, 2010

Hutton Update: Day 3

It's been hard for me to get a picture of the little guy for the past two days because he has been chillin' under the bili lights, but my nurse snapped this as I held him this morning.

Speaking of chillin'.....dude, don't bother me I'm busy sun bathing.


Hutt's bili counts did come down today (8.something) from yesterday (10.1) but to be proactive they've decided to keep him under the lights again today. Yesterday we could only have him out for 30 min. increments but because the numbers did come down they've been a little more lenient today. This morning I actually got to hold him for a full 3 hours. It was awesome. My nurse set us up in the chair with it reclined and pillows all around and we snoozed together for a long time. I felt 100% better after getting a little more sleep. Baby Boy was also quite content on Mama's chest.

At rounds this morning we found out Hutton has a heart murmur. The doctor isn't concerned about it right now but they have decided to reduce his fluids today in hopes of drying him out and letting his heart get a little rest so that hopefully it will correct itself. If it at some point becomes a concern or they need to know exactly what is causing it they'll order an Echo.

Let's see...other updates...yesterday he weighed in at 5 lbs 5.2 oz...


...and today he was at 5 lbs 7 something. Because they are reducing his fluids today they're actually hoping to see him lose a little weight tomorrow.

Breast feedings are hit and miss, we just had a really good feeding but sometimes he's just too tired. Good news is when he is alert he latches on really well. They are supplementing his feedings with 15 ml today, which is up from 10 yesterday. Yesterday we did the supplements through the bottle but last night we decided to run a tube through his nose to his stomach for the supplements. The doc and PA both agreed that would be better for today as well. Because we are running it this way he gets his supplement at the same time I breastfeed, which is good so that he associates being full with feeding.

He has been having some Brady/Destats which is when his heart rate/oxygen drop, thankfully so far he has been self correcting them. Never the less I hate seeing the alarms on the screen.

Yesterday was a really rough day for me. I was discharged at noon and shortly thereafter Collin went into work. I cried alot yesterday afternoon and as I sat at Subway at my lone table for dinner I couldn't stop the tears from rolling down my face. I was over tired, emotional, and missing Keaton. Yesterday evening Busha brought Keaton up and I got to play with him for awhile. We built a train track in the waiting room, read a couple of books, made airplane noises, and ran around. It made my night. Collin and Papa also stopped by after work, so it was good to see everyone.

I was overly exhausted last night and during my 3 am pumping (we decided to skip the feeding because Hutt was completely out - so he got all of his food through the tube) I spilled breast milk all over myself - that was awesome :) Thankfully at 6 am I felt a little better, unfortunately my boobs were too engorged and Hutton had a hard time latching. Hit or miss...

At this point I have no idea when we'll be able to go home, it really hasn't been discussed. I'm hoping maybe by the end of the weekend but it will all depend on his bili counts and his feeding. Requirements for discharge include being able to take all feedings by mouth and being out of the isolette for 24 hours and able to maintain his own body temp. Although his isolette has been on room air the past two days he hasn't actually been out of it except for when we're holding him. So we'll see....at this point we're just taking baby steps. Overall he is still doing really good, it's just a slow process.

More to come....

7 comments:

amanda said...

Hang in there, mama! Hutt will keep getting stronger and be home soon. Lots of love and prayers!

TeamNee said...

Your strength is amazing. Soon you will be able to go home to all of your men. Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Kristin C. said...

Oh Kate,
I wish I could have been there with a hug during your Subway melt down. Poor Mama. You are doing so great....hang in there. If you ever need anything you can always count on me, your crazy IL blog friend. Praying for your strength and Hutt's as well. XOXOXO

Em said...

I'm crying as I read this, Kate. I so wish I lived closer so that I could be with you through this...or at the very least give you a great big hug. I can't imagine how emotional that Subway dinner alone must have been, with Collin at work and your babies elsewhere...I tear up every time I think of it. :( I am praying for strength for Hutt AND you over the next few days to make it through this difficult time. It is good to hear that they're being cautious, but I will hope that everything works out so that you're back home with the boys soon. I love you, hon! If you need anything, please call.

Em said...

I forgot to mention...this latest picture of him is so cute! He is a looker already! :)

Rachel said...

Kate, I haven't been here since Hutton was born, so I am glad to see pictures. Hutton is beautiful. I hope he continues to grow strong and you can take him home soon to catch up on snuggles. {{HUGS}} Rach

Anonymous said...

Please feel free to call me anytime you feel alone- I miss you guys so much and I am praying for you and Hutton. I love his pics- he is adorable and I love the attitude already shown in his sun bathing pic! I'm so glad they are taking such good care of Hutton. I'm praying all goes well and you will be home by the end of the weekend! CAS